Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

About 10 years ago perhaps longer I purchased a Jointech fence with a lot of things to go with it.

It has been sitting un-used in my garage for years along with the router and table I purchased to go with it.

I have all of the books, manuals and guides etc. still in the plastic they came in.
I probably also have the video tapes that came with it ... will have to check.

I assume this unit is pre-problem era since the company was rather new on the scene when I discovered it.

Is there a way I can tell when it was made by my serial number or some other indication on the machine?

Thank you,
Kat

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Kat.

·
Registered
Theo
7,136 Posts
Welcome aboard. I would think you would have to contact the company to get that information.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Welcome aboard. I would think you would have to contact the company to get that information.
Unfortunately, Jointech went belly up... no company to contact anymore.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Kat,

I don't know if this helps but I have had my IPM-1, SN 1-09685 for over 10 years with no issues. In fact, it's closer to 20 years. I purchased it sometime in the mid 1990's.

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
Like Rich, mine's around 10 yr.s old, too with no problems. Mine is the Saw train with router table.
I heard a rumor that Jessem may have bought the rights to the Jointech and may start up production again. Hope so. It's a well engineered product. I guess they just had a business model that couldn't survive the death of the founder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kat,

I don't know if this helps but I have had my IPM-1, SN 1-09685 for over 10 years with no issues. In fact, it's closer to 20 years. I purchased it sometime in the mid 1990's.
Thank you Rich ... I do not know what the serial number indicates for sure but mine is
IPM-1, SN 1-07353. If the SN's are sequential manufacture numbers it appears I have one before the problems started. Which makes me more comfortable putting it on Craig's list trouble free ... since it has never been used.

I am fast finding they do not make things like they use to ... same thing happened a couple of weeks ago with my old Kitchen Aid Mixer ... apparently Hobart no longer manufactured them after I purchased mine.

There is something said about "MADE IN AMERICA" ;)

Thank you for the welcome everyone :)

It is a pleasure,
Kat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like Rich, mine's around 10 yr.s old, too with no problems. Mine is the Saw train with router table.
I heard a rumor that Jessem may have bought the rights to the Jointech and may start up production again. Hope so. It's a well engineered product. I guess they just had a business model that couldn't survive the death of the founder.
Thank you for your response :)

Yes I saw that information somewhere before I posted here.
It seems that Jointech was having problems some years back.

As I recall I was going to try and set up my system to see if I could make some small specialty wood boxes. There was some piece of equipment that I needed that I had not purchased already.

Why is it that when you need something it is the only thing in the world you do not YET have?

They never answered my emails or their telephone ... so I simply forgot about it ... more exotic wood sitting in a bin never to be used ... by me at least ... lol

Kat

·
Super Moderator
John
6,916 Posts
You might want to list here on the form( I know some people are looking for parts and such and a complete one would be well received )

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Glad to be among the experienced and helpful :)

Kat

"Where?', he says, looking around........:jester:

I am not sure what "troubles" you are referring to, but I understand that to business was badly run by the two? sons after the father passed away and eventually went out of business. I was not aware that there was any problem with the product.

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
Just received a message from Jessem. Looks like the rumors of them taking over Jointech are unfounded...Darn it!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Kat,

I purchased mine for the same reason, wanted an easy way to make box and dovetail joints. I never got around to doing that. It just turned into a very nice router fence. I recently purchased a Porter Cable dovetail jig as that seems to be a lot simpler than figuring out how to use the jointech templates. I have viewed the jointech video several times and it seems pretty straight forward, I just never got around to trying it in practice.

Rich

1 - 14 of 14 Posts