Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, the journey began. Bringing an 8" short-bed General jointer (Quebec built) from over 2 decades of neglect. The gentleman we purchased it from, said the machine had belonged to his father, who had passed on over 2 decades ago. The father owned the tools and enjoyed tinkering with wood. The jointer, along with a General bandsaw, tablesaw, and others were kept in a loft section of the father's hardwood flooring commercial unit. After his father passed, the gentleman didn't know what to do with the tools. He noted that they weren't in the way, and that he didn't have any plans to use them.

At the time of the purchase, it was around the first month's end of coronavirus, the business was having a hard time, and so items were being cleared from the storage area. The unit had 2 loft spaces, one on the north side, a main floor extending beneath it, and extending all the way to the south side, where there was a second loft section.

The jointer was bought for a good price. We've never owned a jointer, and after looking at it, we figured we would take a chance on it. Along with the jointer, the gentleman threw in about 500 board feet of unknown hardwoods in all sorts of different sizes. Some of the boards 3-4" thick. The wood had also been sitting in the shop for 20 years - it's nicely dried .

Attached are some pictures of the jointer disassembled. After doing some reading on this forum, and seeing some of the tool restorations, we went ahead with using a towel and an electrolytic solution on the bed to start the cleaning. Today, a few "cycles" were done, with minimal scraping with a razor and sanding with fine sandpaper to remove the iron dust, afterwards.

As we progress, we'll try to post pictures to show the tables all cleaned up, the cutterhead cleaned up, the fence cleaned up, and the final state of the machine. Ultimately the paint is not great, and obviously will need to be redone someday. For now, utilitarian needs are to be met, later - aesthetics.

Thank you to the forum members here who were willing to discuss their process with me through their restorations. We're looking forward to the machine being in service on our end!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Good luck with your restorations

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
RB it appears you've made o good investment and this project should result in a very clear understanding of how this machine functions. Tearing down and rebuilding anything reveals a lot more than any manual can teach. And the finished project should bring years of pride and joy. Good luck and keep the progress reports and pictures coming.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Great score...! And best of luck with the restoration...

500 bdft will give you lots of projects...

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Nice catch, R.B.! May I suggest you rethink the repainting postponement? Now is the perfect time to do it;you've got the machine all apart and cleaned up. Doing it later means redoing everything you've done up to now.
You should be able to find an industrial quality solvent based paint at one of the national paint chains, in the contractor section. You may have to do some legwork to find a decent product that's not waterbourne.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/best-paint-machine-restoration-175279/

·
Registered
966 Posts
Welcome to the forum RB,
I think you did well purchasing this fine machine. I own a few General tools but they are more recent and probably made in Asia. I am in Quebec and in high school I took shop classes and in the wood working class of all Quebec high schools you could not find anything other than General. I used to sell steel to General in Drummondville when they were in operation.
We can buy some new General machines through Normand Inc.(they have a store in your area) They bought the rights and now produce some of the most popular items but in Asia. When I look through Kijjiji or Marketplace I always keep my eyes open for older General machines, they are top quality and even used, not cheap prices.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone along for the ride! We're excited to see this beast come together. Table one is done to our liking. It received a coat of CRC-36, and table two is almost complete now. Tomorrow the guard and cutterhead go in the bath. Then it's time to reassemble, set the knives, and see what she can do! Attached are a few pictures of the table's progression. Only took a few hours to do, based on the PDF we found on this forum

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.