Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, new here and already learning alot, now to my question and i hope i can get it accross without two much confusion.
i need a jig for makeing the edges of two different boards come togather like a pattern(i think thats how i want to say it)i have seen this jig in a book that a friend from work has but as im laid off im not able to get ahold of him. it wasent that complicated, you put the boards in from opposite directions..make a pass with the router on the first one, move the seconed board up and make the second pass useing the same "fence" as u did with the first one...the two boards should be identical when done..pretty simple..but i cant figure it out without at least a pic or something.
thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
bike said:
hello all, new here and already learning alot, now to my question and i hope i can get it accross without two much confusion.
i need a jig for makeing the edges of two different boards come togather like a pattern(i think thats how i want to say it)i have seen this jig in a book that a friend from work has but as im laid off im not able to get ahold of him. it wasent that complicated, you put the boards in from opposite directions..make a pass with the router on the first one, move the seconed board up and make the second pass useing the same "fence" as u did with the first one...the two boards should be identical when done..pretty simple..but i cant figure it out without at least a pic or something.
thanks in advance
Hello bike, Welcome to the RouterForums :)

Are you talk about a flush trim Jig?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TerryO said:
i guess u could call it that..im not sure...i call it the poor mans jointer, i figured it out today and made it, and the best part is...it works!!!! all it does is make the edges of boards the same so when u mate them they go togather perfectly, and since my table saw is basicallly junk...and i dont have a jointer this is a pretty good alternative to good clean joints for makeing panels up on.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
bike said:
i guess u could call it that..im not sure...i call it the poor mans jointer, i figured it out today and made it, and the best part is...it works!!!! all it does is make the edges of boards the same so when u mate them they go togather perfectly, and since my table saw is basicallly junk...and i dont have a jointer this is a pretty good alternative to good clean joints for makeing panels up on.
Hello bike,

I understand now. I use my Split Router Fence which is reversible for jointing and a long 1/2" Shank 1/2" Straight bit in my router table, then I use a Reversible Glue Joint bit to join the boards for a table top or Door Panels..

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
bike, I know the jig you are referring to. I have seen it in one of my books. I looked in two of them but can't find it. i will keep searching tho and will let you know if and when I find it.

Dave
the "Doctor"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
id like to see that again...like i said i did come up with something that does work would like to see how its supposed to be...if i can figure out how ill post of pic or two of it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
jerrymayfield said:
The jointer fence (I use a piece of plastic laminate) will work for edges,but it is difficult to level the faces without a jointer.

Regards
Jerry
i have both fence's 1 is off set to the infeed and the other 1 is just streight accross no off set
i use my planer first than do the flush trim bit it is quick eather way works del schisler

·
Registered
558 Posts
A planer makes one face parallel to the other which is only good if the first face is flat. If you are using rough cut lumber you must flatten one face first, using a plane,belt sander,jointer or some other method before going to the planer.

Regards
Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.