Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,524 Posts
And I thought a blind dove tail was pretty impressive. I'm not even sure how the heck many of those would be made lol

Interesting link Herb , thanks

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Thanks Herb, some neat stuff.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Very interesting. Don't think I'll be making many of those. Like probably none.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,370 Posts
Thanks Herb Way above my pay grade.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Very interesting, Herb. But I'll need more coffee to even absorb what I'm looking at. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Interesting thread there Herb, there are more joints there than I could ever imagine.
Thanks for posting!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
Mike
3,788 Posts
Some neat joints but I don't think that this one will actually work.

EDIT: Looked at it a little closer and it should work!

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,788 Posts
The top dovetail pin is flat on top but the bottom is angled and the straight pin below that is actually angled upward and parallell to the bottom of the dovetail pin so the dovetail pin starts going into the joint below the surface of the tail piece. This makes the dovetail fill the gap from the bottom up.

Simplified, as the pin piece slides into the tail piece it also rises up because of the angled bottom of the dovetail pin and angled rectangular pin.

You can see in the picture that the pin piece is lower than the tail piece when it first starts into the tail piece.

Attachments

Reactions: old coasty

·
Registered
Mike
3,788 Posts
Like I said earlier - easier to draw than to make - LOL! Nice drawing, Mike.
You would need good sharp chisels in several sizes and a good Japanese pull saw. This is definitely not your standard router joint!

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Most impressive assortment of joints to say the least. I've attempted to make a few of these over the years....some can take upwards of several weeks to accomplish by a skilled craftsman..many are specific application driven. Makes ya wonder what the application is..

Reactions: Herb Stoops
1 - 20 of 21 Posts