Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I am a little shy but hope to feel comfortable here. I have put some info in my profile to help you get to know me. (Please check it out) I also have a photo of myself online but it is my understanding (tell me if I am wrong please) that I cannot upload it until after 10 posts. I feel comfortable around tool guys because I was always the repair lady in my home. Don't hesitate to ask me any questions. I am an open book.
Joy

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
welcome Joy...

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
Glad you choose to join the fun. There are a variety of skills spread among members here, and all are generous with information and assistance. Home maintainence and repairs kept my interist in woodworking alive throughout my life. My dad taught us all how to keep a pre 1913 farmhouse operational.

You can post pictures that are saved in your computer. It's links you can't post til you have 10 posts, which is intended to keep spam down.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Joy! When you get a minute go ahead and complete your profile with first name. Adding your name will get rid of the N/a in the left panel.

Hope you're able to learn something here and feel free to post photos of projects when you're ready.

David

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great info Tom. My dad died when I was 14 and it really devastated me. I had to learn everything on my own when it came to being the fixer-upper.
Do you have a pic of the 1913 farmhouse? I bet that was a fantastic and enjoyable project for you.

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
I have a good friend in Charlotte, just down the 85 from you. NC is a really nice state. All those grandchildren must be fun. Hope most of them live nearby, sometimes the move away so you don't see them very often (my daughter did that, but moved close a decade ago. You look to be a pretty self reliant lady. A lot of us here are about the same age. I also like the word games.

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
That farmhouse was one of the oldest buildings in the town I grew up in. It was terrible. Didn't have a foundation! Was built atop 6x6 pilings set on flat stones. The walls were built like fences with 14 inch wide redwood planks on both sides. No studs to speak of. Wallpaper would rip vertically whenever one of the 6 kids hit a wall. I was there the day they tore it down. A small bull dozer pressed a little on one corner and the whole thing fell over! The plumbing was all old galvanized pipe, so we always wound up making repairs with galvanized pipe, and we learned to cut threads. It had two 10 amp circuits for the whole house--the asbestos covered wires were suspended on glass insulators and no ground. The kitchen, back bedroom and wash shed (with icebox) were all lean-to add ons with the flooring laid directly on the dirt. So repairs were constant and I've never missed that part. I miss climbing the huge trees, making forts in the back yard, but not the house.

My mom managed to convert a garage to an apartment and gradually added five more units--all of which are still there. The house came down when a developer bought 59 feet of the 109 foot frontage.

I was a theatre kid, so we did a lot of set and prop construction in high school. Learned electrical there too. I inherited a few tools from a lodger who was a finish carpenter and about age 14-15 I spent summer time as his apprentice, often handing doors and putting up molding. It was all hand work, using his brace and bit, hand saws, planes and a great manual miter saw I wish I still had.

Nice to recall all of that good stuff. My wife is making tacos tonight using my mom's secret ingredient, which turned out to be catsup. :laugh:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tom said------Nice to recall all of that good stuff. My wife is making tacos tonight using my mom's secret ingredient, which turned out to be catsup.

Thanks for sharing so much of the past in your post Tom and ENJOY those secret ingredient TACOS. LOL

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Joy and welcome. We have Roxanne, Barb (Outofthewoodwork), and Mary (Marecat) that post from time to time. I think they are all busy making stuff so not as frequently as we would like to see them and we've had quite a few ladies over the years. Deb (Canuckgal) was one of the moderators when I first joined. Don't let the fact that we are mostly male members deter you. Everyone is welcome.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hi, Toni! I'm late getting online today, but would like to extend the heartiest of welcomes to you. Please just hang in there with us, and you'll soon find that there is an abundance of extremely nice and helpful people here. This is the only forum that I participate in, because it has the most friendly, polite, and inclusive environment of any I've ever been a member of.

Most of what I know about woodworking, I learned here from the gracious and helpful nature of the other members. And I have made friends that I value greatly.

Don't worry if you don't see a lot of women posting yet. There are several female members. My daughter in law is one, and she reads the forum every day.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Write Place

Oh Richard--I am getting cold feet because I am the only lady posting here and feel like the odd-ball.
Hey, Joy, or would you rather we called you Toni(?); welcome!
You're not the only woman here, it's just that the (other) ladies apparently don't like puns... :grin:

"To find Joy in work is to discover the fountain of youth."
- Pearl S. Buck

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.