Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some photos of my new shop being made. It's a his and hers shop, my husband has 20'x40' for cars and fixin' things and I have 20'x40' for woodworking. We started last spring:

1. Where the garage will go
2. Weeping tile being laid
3. Dump truck bringing one of the 20 loads of gravel fill
4. Forms and insulation installed
5. Rebar and mesh

(more to follow)

~Julie~

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More photos:

1. Piping in for in-floor heat
2. Trench running from garage to house (outdoor furnace will go between the two, to the right of the tractor)
3. Pump truck filling the floor with cement
4. Floor being finished
5. Blocks and styrofoam in

(more later!)

~Julie~

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
20' x 40'... radiant floor heating... I can't wait to see what all you got planned for that place!

·
Banned
189 Posts
Wow. I think the majority of us are salivating over what we could do with a shop like that.....envy is the only word that comes to mind at this time. You are one lucky lady! (worth repeating).

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Julie I think I shall find contentment in my 400+ sq/ft shop that I am not quite finished with, if you know what I mean. 800sq/ft that is awesome I too will watch with you--well maybe you'll work and I will do the watching. Have you figured out how you will lay it out? Are you contracting it or do you have a contractor doing it for you. When do you think you will be complete? From experience I can say, hang in there and get er done.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Very nice Julie. So the floor is sort of floarting then? I did not see any garde beam poured or footings with piles.

I assume you are running all the utlities out to it? What sort of power will you have in the panel? 100 amp?

What part of the country do you live in?

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Julie, you didn't say that you were building a better shop that "Norm" has. That is a fantastic shop. Keep the pictures coming.

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
That's going to shape up to be a really nice place :D!

Look forward to the progression shots.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Julie, thanks for posting that. Of course, we are all very jealous, but I am very happy for you. You and hubby will have a very nice place to do the things you both enjoy. Does life get any better than this?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More photos

Thanks for all the kind words!

I failed to mention that this is designed and built by my husband and myself. The man who sells the outdoor stove put in the pex tubing with us and also did some of the connections for the heating system. We did have some professional concrete men to pour and smooth the concrete floor. We also had men do the steel roof. All the rest was done just by my husband and myself. He did most of the work, but I did a lot as well. Right now we are working on finishing the insulation and wiring. He is doing all the electrical wiring as well, including putting in 220 for my future dust collection system. He has done so much work (along with having a full time job), it's just amazing!

To answer some questions, I have designed my layout. I have the side with the "man door" and the window. At the front I will have an assembly and finishing area and I will have all my power tools in a circular design around the room so that I can move around the perimeter from wood rack to SCMS to jointer to planer and tablesaw in the middle.

A 100 amp panel is wired coming from the house, there won't be any water. The floor is an engineered poured slab, which was required with the permit.

We live in Northern Ontario so the heated shop is a necessity.

Here's some more photos.

1. Start of shop framing (my side)
2. Framing finished
3. Woodstove being set on pad
4. Engineered joists being set on walls
5. View of joists from inside
6. Aspenite covering framing
7. Second floor showing roof and half walls
8. Plywood roof on
9. Steel roof going on
10. Heated floor panel

~Julie~

Attachments

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Fantastic looking shop Julie. Since you only have a "man" door, I hope you left the door between the shops wide enough to get big pieces through. Hubby can always move his car. Excellent progress.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Outstanding Julie just outstanding and I don't mean in the rain. Are you going to use the upstairs for anything? The framing looks to be 2 X 6. If you were to put in water and sewer, how deep would you have to bury it so as not to freeze? When I lived in Wyoming, we had frozen water at 7' under the road one winter. Sure was glad I didn't pay for getting it going again! They dug it up at each end and put a welder on it for a couple hours to get it going again. I will truly look forward to pics as they come in. You will be well rewarded for your efforts. Ditto on the door, who know what you might need to remove when it is done.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
BREATH TAKING Julie.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts