Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Butt joints are used all the time, and with no problem. Here are a few examples of how a transition is normally accomplished, and another example of laying a boarder. In none of these is a spline used. It isn't used for two reasons. The first being that it just isn't needed. The second is that more damage could be done by attempting to put a groove in for a spline.

Bamboo Wood Flooring/Part 13/How to install No Threshold Perpendicular Flooring - YouTube

Installing Hardwood Floor Borders - YouTube

How to Add On to a Wood Floor Design with Border - YouTube
Flipping the tongue with hardwood flooring is a standard technique. Doesn’t involve cutting grooves and doesn’t involve butt joints. Jussayin’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
I won't argue the point I only hope the poster understands that the end groove is not necessary and that he doesn't try to somehow put a groove in the existing boards. I will leave this last video in hopes that it will help others understand how to do a floor repair in the real world.

So, I’m really scratching my head here. Where in that video you posted does it say anything about butt joints ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Back to your post #12 . I wouldn't recommend butt jointing. I have the same issue considering putting addition hardwood in a beroom.. routing for a spline is the way I know to do it correctly..

Is it possible your talking about thin laminate flooring?
If he’s talking about vinyl or laminate flooring then yes, they have tongues/grooves on both ends. But then, he a) doesn’t understand the difference between hardwood flooring and laminate and b) who the hell routs laminate slats ??

·
Registered
204 Posts
The issue with just a butt joint here is that there are many different boards that may move over time and start to come up. A slip tounge will help them all stay flush.

View attachment 400663
Put a threshold over the seam to hold it down ?

Or, if you’re absolutely adamant about milling into it - I personally, would’ve opted for either dowels or biscuits. Most likely biscuits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts