Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a little research on building a router table and found this site. I have been doing occasional woodworking projects for thirty years but I am still near the bottom of the learning curve. I retired last year and had a 24x40' shop built so I can have a place for tools to play with and learn about woodworking. Now that I have free time and a place to work in I am looking forward to becoming a woodworker. So far my shop is getting filled with new tools and it's getting time with some help to start learning what to do with them.

Right now I want to build a router station for some up coming projects. I have a Porter Cable 7518 looking for a home and I also purchased the Porter Cable 8529 2HP plunge for hand use.

I would like to know how important it is to have a two-piece fence that can be adjusted separately for either face of the fence or will a staight one piece fence work ok?

Any ideas, pictures or information you may have to offer on design or building the table would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
grandpaw Jeff, I too want to welcome you to the forum. Nice group of people here. Experienced, helpful, and some times funny. 24'x40' sounds like one heck of a shop. Congrats on the shop and your retirement. Enjoy both. :D

Dave
the "Doctor"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for the great welcome! Does anyone have any opinions about the split fence? I read about the micro adjust fences but I am leaning toward not worring about it and just make my own. I called Rockler and they don't even make a split fence. I would think if there was a demand for them that they would be making one.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey Grandpaw, as a recently retired grandfather (kids call me Paw Mac), I can't begin to describe my pleasure at taking an ordinary board and turning it into something - plus lots of shavings and sawdust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I enjoy that too. The thing I get the most pleasure out of is when one of my sons or my grandson shows something I have made to a visitor that comes over and they say with pride
" My dad made that for me" or I hear "My Grandpaw made that for me". That makes it all worthwhile.

That just makes the old ticker beat a lot stronger and makes my smile a lot wider.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Grandpaw Welcome to the forums bud,,It,s a great forum with alot of good peaple who don,t mind helping out,,I too am a grandpaw and so look forward to kids and grandchildren out in shop with me. (semi47) freman

·
Registered
30 Posts
welcome Grandpaw !! Dusty56 here , new guy myself...regarding your split fence question...in my limited experience the real advantage of a S/F is if you wanted to use your router table to joint the edges of your boards...that is what I did before I could afford my jointer ( a used '50's vintage Rockwell Delta 6" )....I guess we're about the same age with the same amount of rust on us :) !! Glad to have it though ! The other advantage to the S/F depends on how large the bits are you are going to be using...
Have you ever seen the fences on a Delta shaper , how they fit around the bit profiles ? I guess it all depends on what you end up doing for projects on your router table...Enjoy your retirement , Grandpaw !! Dusty56 2/20/06

·
Registered
30 Posts
welcome Grandpaw !! Dusty56 here , new guy myself...regarding your split fence question...in my limited experience the real advantage of a S/F is if you wanted to use your router table to joint the edges of your boards...that is what I did before I could afford my jointer ( a used '50's vintage Rockwell Delta 6" )....I guess we're about the same age with the same amount of rust on us :) !! Glad to have it though ! The other advantage to the S/F depends on how large the bits are you are going to be using...
Have you ever seen the fences on a Delta shaper , how they fit around the bit profiles ? I guess it all depends on what you end up doing for projects on your router table...Enjoy your retirement , Grandpaw !! Dusty56 2/20/06

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.