1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I don't have a CNC, and even if I did, I don't have the talent. Maybe this is run of the mill for you CNC'ers but I just found this mind blowing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGUbTFG2jz0&feature=push-fr&attr_tag=SdOtYZIXmwbd1jpF:6

It's almost made me lose my interest in making cutting boards. Mine are so primitive in comparison.
That's a beautiful piece of work. I've used that technique though nothing even remotely close to that size/complexity. The biggest drawback to me shows up at about 8:20 where he cleans up the inlay piece. It takes a lot of very careful and detailed work because even one errant chip that gets wedged between the two halves of the inlay creates a gap that shows. The guy is a real craftsman even if he is using a CNC machine.

On the negative side, the video really dragged it out. Could be about 1/4 the length and still tell a pretty rich story.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Nice, yes. Incredible? I would say no, when compared to this. Early 20th century, done waaay before there were CNC machines.

Attachments

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Very beautiful work, precise, clean - I like these! Good video, too. Could have been a little shorter but I can fast forward through it easily enough by hovering over the timeline and seeing the thumbnail view.

David

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ronnie, I've been working on a jewelry box for my great niece. I made two of these boxes about 5 years ago. In that time I've forgotten all of the mistakes I made the first time and my notes on those are sparse. Soooo, I've been making most of the same mistakes again and have added to my already healthy scrap pile. I'll post pics when I'm done.

I posted pics of some of the last boards I made. For two of them I used old growth original Mahogany that was given to me. I've included them in this post. The first pic was for one of my daughters when they redid their kitchen. When I'm finished with my current project, my wife has a couple of other things for me to do on the "honey do" list then I want to try some 3D appearance boards. Something a bit more challenging but within my skill, so to speak, set.

I would like to apologize to everyone for that video. I should have given you a starting point since making the base board is pretty much standard and could have been skipped until the CNC part.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
I should have given you a starting point since making the base board is pretty much standard and could have been skipped until the CNC part.
The CNC part? In my world that is Coffee 'N Cookies.

Reactions: Barry747

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I would like to apologize to everyone for that video. I should have given you a starting point since making the base board is pretty much standard and could have been skipped until the CNC part.
No need for an apology. We're all adults here and it is a beautiful cutting board. A "skip to xx:yy" would have been nice but not necessary.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Maybe this is run of the mill for you CNC'ers but I just found this mind blowing.
Really high quality CNC work requires just as much if not more skill than "normal" woodworking.

95% or more of the CNC stuff you see is just "cnc clip art", which leads a lot of people to think that CNC is as easy as pushing a button. But creating really good, unique, high quality work is not easy.

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
I don't know what you're talking about, Gerry. Almost every day I take boards, set them on the CNC, push the button to start, and then come back an hour later to find a finished piece in a box with a label for its destination followed by a payment from Etsy direct deposited into our bank account. Couldn't be easier... :wink:

David

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Really high quality CNC work requires just as much if not more skill than "normal" woodworking.
Different skill set tho. I'll just stick with "normal" woodworking, more fun.

·
Registered
580 Posts
John, totally agree.

The artistic vision to create these amazing patterns is a wonder to me.

I have some technical skills at making patterns but I am unable to create stuff like they do. Hope some day I can.

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Different skill set tho. I'll just stick with "normal" woodworking, more fun.
What you consider 'normal' now, Theo, would've been the equivalent of a CNC 150 years ago, maybe even 100 years ago.

Like Gerry said, it's an additional skillset and doesn't replace the other tools in my shop. Rather, it augments what I do and increases my capabilities and what I can offer.

David

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.