Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
Would love to see a video on the construction..... Very good result...

·
Official Greeter
Ross
11,487 Posts
They are terrific looking boards Alexis.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,244 Posts
Wow! Those are great-looking cutting boards.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would love to see a video on the construction..... Very good result...
Hi, James.
I do not have capabilities for making a video but I will try to explain how I make the first cutting board.
I took inspiration from a quilting forum but used wood and glue instead of fabric and sewing.
1. I made a colored sketch to estimate the necessary number of pieces and to get a gross list of materials. In my miter saw I cut a lot of rhombuses, 20mm wide and 30mm to 35mm thick to produce 18 pieces of 40mm hexagons. Remember, these are leftover pieces and it is dangerous to try to get a uniform dimensión in the TS.
2. Three different colors of wood were glued to make one piece. Elastic bands were used as a clamping system. They worked just fine.
3. Then, I cut two 20mm wide trapezoids of the same color for each rhombus in the small hexagon. The trapezoid’s small base has the same dimensión as the central hexagon. These two trapezoids were glued in the opposite direction to each colored rhombus.
4. I selected the best-fitting hexagons to make a dry assembly. Then they were glued to each other to get the pattern.
5. Once the gluing process was completed, I put the board in my homemade milling machine. Both faces were milled and, all the gaps were filled with an admixture of glue and sawdust.
6. During the glue-up process, trying to get the best fit-up I rotated some hexagons and two patterns were reached on the board. Some central hexagons look like a pop-up cube, others look inward.
7. To keep the continuous pattern I routed the handles in one face of the board.
8. After a lot of sanding with 80, 100, and 120 grit sandpaper, I applied several coats of mineral oil on a daily basis. The last coat was applied using Howard´s Butcher Block Conditioner
Rectangle Wood Triangle Font Handwriting
Wood Rectangle Recipe Flooring Space
Wood House Rectangle Hardwood Tints and shades
Wood Flooring Floor Art Hardwood
Wood Automotive tire Flooring Gas Hardwood
Wood Table Tableware Flooring Ingredient
Wood Rectangle Flooring Hardwood Wood stain
9. Finally, I made a simple stand for each cutting board.

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
Thanks, Alexis,,,

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
woooow!
thats another level of woodworking.you could sell those for a rather high price!
is it regular pine you used?
Hi a548402653
Thank you for the compliments.
I used Oak, saman, and Caribbean pine which is a hard pine species that is readily available here since there are huge plantations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beautiful Cutting Boards... I've read and talked to many people who have differing opinions on the best oil finish to use since it obviously will be used with food products. What did you use on your cutting boards?

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
Here are some pictures of a cutting board I made some years ago when doing a wood working
Brown Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain

course.
Brown Musical instrument Product Rectangle Wood
Wood Textile Purple Flooring Wood stain

All hand cut and planed, except for the groves for the feet.

As instructed, I used Grape Seed Oil for the finish, This is food safe,

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beautiful Cutting Boards... I've read and talked to many people who have differing opinions on the best oil finish to use since it obviously will be used with food products. What did you use on your cutting boards?
Hello Ken.
For cutting boards, I use Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner.

Brown Wood Tile flooring Flooring Floor
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Wood stain

For doors decoration I use mineral oil for baby's skin.

·
Official Greeter
19,988 Posts
About 1 1/4" thick, Alexis.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts