·
Registered
Retired, Hobbyist Woodworker
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all!
New Member here!

<Obviocity is one of my skill sets>
I'm an old Retired (with an emphasis on tired) Naval Submariner.
After I got outta the Navy, I had a number of jobs; just my luck gettn' out with no Marketable Skills (that I was willing to work in) smack dab before a pretty major Recession (I mean, 2 months later) but the wife and I made it (mostly).
I eventually
(2018 - 1994 = eventually) Retired to the Pacific Northwest, but due to some health problems*, and then Covid-19, most of my shop is in storage.
Still tweaking our lives to adjust to existing on Social Security, but at least we Own Our Own Home (and property) Outright <yay!>🙌 Plus, we've got Food & Electrical as our Real bills (Heater, W&D, Range & Well are all electrical). Medical is covered by VA & Medicare - respectively.
That's probably too much info...
All I'm trying to say is that while it's not what we'd planned for, we're doing OK. After we lost a home to Foreclosure back at the turn of the century, actually owning our own home w/no mortgage has been a life goal for us.
Been working with wood for some 25 years, but I still consider myself a nube woodworker. Kinda like the person that has read every cookbook imaginable & can carry on a conversation at a party with real cooks, buuuut... You can tell. Everybody knows one of these — might not be cooking, but you get the idea. Yeah... that's me with woodworking. (And don't hesitate to call me out on it if I get snooty in a forum post or something. I'll deserve it, I'm sure.)
That being said, I'm looking forward to meeting y'all <virtually> and having (friendly, respectful) conversations.

* and on that note... I'll just say this — If you're going to have a heart attack, have it in the Hospital; I mean, while you're already in the Hospital for sumpin else...

·
Registered
21,699 Posts
Glad you're aboard. This a pretty good crew, and not one of us is guilty of walking on water. I'm on a gastric tube for all food, and I'm grateful that Uncle Sam pays for all my food. Really is a budget saver.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Howdy all!
New Member here!

<Obviocity is one of my skill sets>
I'm an old Retired (with an emphasis on tired) Naval Submariner.
After I got outta the Navy, I had a number of jobs; just my luck gettn' out with no Marketable Skills (that I was willing to work in) smack dab before a pretty major Recession (I mean, 2 months later) but the wife and I made it (mostly).
I eventually
(2018 - 1994 = eventually) Retired to the Pacific Northwest, but due to some health problems*, and then Covid-19, most of my shop is in storage.
Still tweaking our lives to adjust to existing on Social Security, but at least we Own Our Own Home (and property) Outright <yay!>🙌 Plus, we've got Food & Electrical as our Real bills (Heater, W&D, Range & Well are all electrical). Medical is covered by VA & Medicare - respectively.
That's probably too much info...
All I'm trying to say is that while it's not what we'd planned for, we're doing OK. After we lost a home to Foreclosure back at the turn of the century, actually owning our own home w/no mortgage has been a life goal for us.
Been working with wood for some 25 years, but I still consider myself a nube woodworker. Kinda like the person that has read every cookbook imaginable & can carry on a conversation at a party with real cooks, buuuut... You can tell. Everybody knows one of these — might not be cooking, but you get the idea. Yeah... that's me with woodworking. (And don't hesitate to call me out on it if I get snooty in a forum post or something. I'll deserve it, I'm sure.)
That being said, I'm looking forward to meeting y'all <virtually> and having (friendly, respectful) conversations.

* and on that note... I'll just say this — If you're going to have a heart attack, have it in the Hospital; I mean, while you're already in the Hospital for sumpin else...
If you retired out of the Navy, you should be getting retired pay and TriCare For Life! I did and do as an E-6.
Live in Tacoma.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts