Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn’t fit my MLCS Router Table which I knew it wouldn’t from the specs, but it’s not as bad as I figured.

My brand new Keen Router Table Dust fitting does not quite fit the Rout-R-Lift II either. I’m not sure what I’m going to do about it. I may have to box it up and sell it because it’s been a little too long since I bought it to return it. :frown:

I never even got to use my Keen Router Table Dust system because the connector doesn’t fit the MLCS Router Table fence port.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
What about a little creative thinking to make the lift fit better.

Maybe route the top out some more to make the space wider, then make up a filler piece for a snug fit. Might work.

As for the vac fitting...surely there must be some way you can adapt that to work.

Reactions: JohnnyB60

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about a little creative thinking to make the lift fit better.

Maybe route the top out some more to make the space wider, then make up a filler piece for a snug fit. Might work.

As for the vac fitting...surely there must be some way you can adapt that to work.
Thanks Keith, the vac fitting is a problem. I haven't put the router motor in yet and I'm hoping that the mechanism doesn't go any farther to crush the fitting. I'm still not sure it will work because of the angle and I will need to come up with a right angle fitting to go down. The flex hose will not bend that much. If that steel cross support bar wasn't there it would probably work I think.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New Lift is not working

I bought this JessEm™ Rout-R-Lift II™ specifically for my PC 890 router and there is only one way it will fit into the lift, but the cord hits the slid bar and will not slide down all the way. In the photo I have the router turned so it looks like it will slide down, but there are little tabs that also need to line up. Even if I were to bend the cord out of the way as soon as I lower the lift the cord will hit. :frown:

Oh and the Vacuum fitting will not fit at all.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you are going to use the router motor in the lift only, why cant you remove the gear rack on the side and then turn it where the cord doesn't hit.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are going to use the router motor in the lift only, why cant you remove the gear rack on the side and then turn it where the cord doesn't hit.
thanks Danny, but it's the only plunge router that I have. I originally was planning on buying the Bosch 1617EVS Router to go with it it, but at this point I'm afraid to buy anything else for this router table. So far nothing has fit anything, from the dust collection to the lift to the router.

I also just found out that the lift plate doesn't come with the inserts and that's another $40. Who the hell doesn't use the inserts. Just another way for greedy bastards to bleed more money out of you.

I'm going to box everything up and return it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Oh dear, this is not starting to sound good.

Is the Bosch router supposed to fit?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh dear, this is not starting to sound good.

Is the Bosch router supposed to fit?
Hi Keith, I just don't know for sure. It says on the Jessem Site:
"THIS MODEL IS DESIGNED FOR USE WITH PC 690/890, BOSCH 1617/1618, DEWALT 610/618/616, CRAFTSMAN 1754/17540/28190
** 3.5" MOTOR DIAMETER **"

I just don't know what to believe anymore

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hmmmmm...curioser and curioser.

If it was supposed to work with your 890, maybe it's time to call Jessem and ask why it doesn't work with your router.

Is there any possibility that either the lift or the router may have undergone any sort of manufacturing change?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmmm...curioser and curioser.

If it was supposed to work with your 890, maybe it's time to call Jessem and ask why it doesn't work with your router.

Is there any possibility that either the lift or the router may have undergone any sort of manufacturing change?
I'm not sure if anything has changed, but except for the cord everything looks perfect.

I probably should try and contact Jessem, but I'm too upset right now. I've been waiting on buying this lift for about a year now. I was going to have my daughter purchase it for my Christmas present, but I got sick in November and missed Christmas all together because everyone thought I was going to die. So I finally feel well enough to buy it on my own and it just doesn't work.

Maybe I'll be calm enough on Monday to make the call.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I bought this JessEm™ Rout-R-Lift II™ specifically for my PC 890 router and there is only one way it will fit into the lift, but the cord hits the slid bar and will not slide down all the way. In the photo I have the router turned so it looks like it will slide down, but there are little tabs that also need to line up. Even if I were to bend the cord out of the way as soon as I lower the lift the cord will hit. :frown:

Oh and the Vacuum fitting will not fit at all.
time to call JessEm...
their CS/TS is outstanding...

·
Registered
487 Posts
I also have that same lift and am using a PC 892 router with it. The cord was a concern with me also but I finally just ignored it and it doesn't seem to be a problem at this time.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also have that same lift and am using a PC 892 router with it. The cord was a concern with me also but I finally just ignored it and it doesn't seem to be a problem at this time.
You know Ken, I’ve been thinking about this and I wonder if I’m not thinking this right because I was looking at it upside down.

Step 1 says “Crank the lift carriage up so that it just contacts the O-rings at the top of the carriage shafts. The carriage should be all the way toward the top plate” so I did this.

My problem showed up on step 2 which says “Now slide the router motor into the carriage so the top of the motor housing just makes contact with the inside surface of the center hole in the top plate”. Well I was doing everything to get the router all the way in and I was even banging on the top when I noticed the cord was keeping it up.

So after thinking about it, I realized that I can lower the lift carriage so that the router will go through the top plate, but I will not be able to lift the router up high enough to get a wrench on the collet. When I first noticed the cord I was seeing upside down and thinking it would move the wrong direction hitting the cord on the guide.

So tomorrow morning I’m going to lower the carriage so I can get the router all the way in the carriage to see exactly how much room I have to change bits.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well first thing this morning I lowered the carriage (raise when upside down) and pushed the motor all the way in place then twisted it as far as I could. The cord still hits but it’s farther to the side of the slide and isn’t that bad. I can live with it, but probably will not raise it all the way up to change bits.

The Bosch 1617EVS cord appears from the photo to be a little offset toward the rack which will probably clear when twisted all the way in the carriage. I’m going to take a run later to the store so I can see it up and personal to see if that’s true before I buy it. :)

I have to say that overall the carriage slides up and down really easy making depth adjustment and bit changes a pleasure. No more will I struggle with making multiple cuts or changing bits. I should have broke down and bought one of these years ago. :grin:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well you sound a bit happier now anyhow !

All the best

Rog

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use the Bosch in that router lift and it fits perfectly.
Thanks Mike, I think I’m going to order the Bosh 1617EVS right away. It’s $20 cheaper on Amazon so I’ll get it there unless Home Depot can match the price, but I’m not sure if they have it in stock.

Well you sound a bit happier now anyhow !

All the best

Rog
Thanks Rog, it’s amazing what a little sleep can do. :grin:

Anyway I opened up the MLCS Router Table hole a little to fit the lift but, I need to go down another 1/8” to flush. I have to first figure out how to get the magnets out of the table corners because I’m right on top of them and even polished one of them with the router bit.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I finally got it all together. I’m not too happy with the excess space on the sides where the plate was smaller than the existing hole, but oh well I can live with it.

It turned out that I had to order the Bosh 1617EVS from Amazon because it’s not available anywhere within 50 miles, but at least its on its way.

I guess I’m going have to order the inserts because the one I have is too big and most of the sawdust falls down below and I only have dust collection in the fence.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
wax the sides of the plate and use seam sealer to fill the void...
seam sealer...
flooring department at any BB...

Bosch 1617...
Sites-cpooutlets-Site

1 - 20 of 54 Posts