Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Jukebox here.
- My preference in woodworking is cabinetry altho I do all the other usual stuff.
- When I am not woodworking I do model railroading - HO scale.
-Dovetail joinery incented me to join Router Forum.
-Thanks for the invite.
-I am retired and my passion is finding good/used woodworking tools - save my bucks for buying rough sawn woods. Old tools are my preference altho I like finding a good tool with some advantages that the older ones didn't have, ie, DeWalt surface planer.
- I am spoiled in that I built my wood shop building and it is a guy's dream "man-cave": tons of woodworking quality toys (mostly used) ~ no more Craftsman or Black n Decker stuff or other so-so names in tools.
-Long ago, I was one of the first kids on the block with a decent dovetail system, it was the Porter-Cable 24" Omni-Jig. Great for making tall cedar chests. Set up was hit and miss but I eventually got the hang of it..........took some doin' ! !
-Recently I found the Katie Jig from Sommerfeld Tools. Mark S. not only sells this sys but he also produced a no-nonsense Dovetail DVD to go along with it - $10 bucks.
-My router table is a "Bench Dog" steel router table attached to the left of the blade of my table saw. Tremendous tool - this table is machined perfectly. For a lift mechanism, I went with the Woodpecker. Yep - really cool toys.
-Katie Jig for dovetails - simply orient your work piece onto this jig and slide it over and around your router bit............life doesn't get any funner than this. Dovetails are a snap to make. I wish I had found this system much sooner.
-Highly recommend you borrow or buy Mark Sommerfeld's DVD and see for yourself how easy dovetails can be. If you do nothing else, buy his DVD and then use the infomration to base your decisions on........it's practical info if your shopping for a dovetail system whether hand-held routing or gliding a jig on your router table.
-No, I don't sell these things but since I found out how well they work, I encourage others to view the DVD and make your own decision on which one you'd like to have for your shop.

Jukebox

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jukebox

I will 2nd your post :)
Most don't know how easy they can put in dovetails with the right dovetail jig, I made my own copy of the Katie jg for the wider jobs..

see my uploads for pictures and text how to make one ..easy stuff..and at a very low cost.
===========

Hi - Jukebox here.
- My preference in woodworking is cabinetry altho I do all the other usual stuff.
- When I am not woodworking I do model railroading - HO scale.
-Dovetail joinery incented me to join Router Forum.
-Thanks for the invite.
-I am retired and my passion is finding good/used woodworking tools - save my bucks for buying rough sawn woods. Old tools are my preference altho I like finding a good tool with some advantages that the older ones didn't have, ie, DeWalt surface planer.
- I am spoiled in that I built my wood shop building and it is a guy's dream "man-cave": tons of woodworking quality toys (mostly used) ~ no more Craftsman or Black n Decker stuff or other so-so names in tools.
-Long ago, I was one of the first kids on the block with a decent dovetail system, it was the Porter-Cable 24" Omni-Jig. Great for making tall cedar chests. Set up was hit and miss but I eventually got the hang of it..........took some doin' ! !
-Recently I found the Katie Jig from Sommerfeld Tools. Mark S. not only sells this sys but he also produced a no-nonsense Dovetail DVD to go along with it - $10 bucks.
-My router table is a "Bench Dog" steel router table attached to the left of the blade of my table saw. Tremendous tool - this table is machined perfectly. For a lift mechanism, I went with the Woodpecker. Yep - really cool toys.
-Katie Jig for dovetails - simply orient your work piece onto this jig and slide it over and around your router bit............life doesn't get any funner than this. Dovetails are a snap to make. I wish I had found this system much sooner.
-Highly recommend you borrow or buy Mark Sommerfeld's DVD and see for yourself how easy dovetails can be. If you do nothing else, buy his DVD and then use the infomration to base your decisions on........it's practical info if your shopping for a dovetail system whether hand-held routing or gliding a jig on your router table.
-No, I don't sell these things but since I found out how well they work, I encourage others to view the DVD and make your own decision on which one you'd like to have for your shop.

Jukebox

·
Registered
213 Posts
BJ, do you like the Katie or the General. I thought you were promoting the General. Or apples to oranges? Is one better than the other.

Thanks for the tip on that DVD. This is a reasonable price for a DVD like that.

KR

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi KR

Well it comes down to the bottom line, the General is only 50.oo and the Katie is 240.oo or so, the General is for the Blind type dovetails the norm..
But I do like the Katie the best it's so easy to use out of All the dovetail jgs that I have and I have used/tried out many of them,,,I think I have too many of them :)

===

BJ, do you like the Katie or the General. I thought you were promoting the General. Or apples to oranges? Is one better than the other.

Thanks for the tip on that DVD. This is a reasonable price for a DVD like that.

KR

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
G’day

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding the Katie Jig. Is there a difference between the Sommerfeld offering and the katiejig website offering? I assume that boxjoint fingers have to be purchased for the joint, correct?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

If you want to put in box joints you will need to buy the fingers for it..
" difference between " = well yes and no , the Katie web site has the smaller fixture and Marc will not have it listed, I don't recall the Katie web site listing the Blind dovetail finger template nor the bits for it..

==
Regarding the Katie Jig. Is there a difference between the Sommerfeld offering and the katiejig website offering? I assume that boxjoint fingers have to be purchased for the joint, correct?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi will

It's great,how about $14.90,not so expensive and you can use it to make you own Katie jig,very easy.

==

as for Katie Jig, I dont' know how good it is, but it is way too expensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Bob,
What is the $14.9 thing you talked about? I don't understand your pictures. Any link for that?
Any details to build my own katie jig? That's interesting. Thanks

Hi will

It's great,how about $14.90,not so expensive and you can use it to make you own Katie jig,very easy.

==

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi Will

If you look at Bob's pic the forks are all wooden. What he is talking about is buying just a single fork from Katie or Sommerfield and using it as a master to create as many forks as you need. The price is for a single fork.
The beauty of the Katie jig is that apart from being able to generate variable spacing, through using home made spacers between the forks, just like, say, a Leigh jig, you can use the Katie either on a router table or with a hand held router.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Bob
You also recommended EZ Pro Dovetail Jig from General Tools. So how to compare these two, EZ Pro ($39.9) and Katie jig (made by yourself with $14.9)?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Will

Well the General is for Blind dovetails the norm but it can be use the same way as the Katie jig but the fingers can't be moved..and it's a bit tricky to use it the same way as the Katie..and you need to use the same router bits in the Gen'l. as the Katie if you want to use it the same way..sometimes you will want to use a blind dovetail but I'm sure why, most of the time you will put a nice front board on the drawer or use lap face board on the front side, easy stuff with the Katie jig.

=======

Hi Bob
You also recommended EZ Pro Dovetail Jig from General Tools. So how to compare these two, EZ Pro ($39.9) and Katie jig (made by yourself with $14.9)?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was in my local Harbor Freight store yesterday and ran across a dovetail jig for $40.00. It is the very same jig manufactured by Woodstock International, the Manufactures of the Shop Fox line of tools. I learned this after I returned home to research the HF jig.
I read many negative reviews as well as several positive reviews. Most of the negative reviews had to do with the lack of a less than optimal instruction manual and probably a lack of patience with the learning curve. I also learned you can download a very precise manual in PDF form off the Woodstock site which I did and it seems simple enough to set up and use.

The are several different size aluminum templates available for the jig to include 1/4 and 1/2 inch box joint templates as well as a sliding dovetail template. It is built in such away as to route both the vertical and horizontal cuts at the same time which I am sure is nothing unusual, but to a beginning woodworker is interesting.

I am going to see if I can find the different templates locally and if so I am going to buy the jig today and see what it is all about. Good, bad or indifferent.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The are several different size aluminum templates available for the jig to include 1/4 and 1/2 inch box joint templates as well as a sliding dovetail template. It is built in such away as to route both the vertical and horizontal cuts at the same time which I am sure is nothing unusual, but to a beginning woodworker is interesting
The process of routing the horizontal & vertical cuts at the same time is for half-blind dovetails (my preferred joint for drawer construction). Not through- dovetails. For through dovetails you change the template & the bit for different sides of the joint. The half-blind joints are a lot faster for drawer construction as you do not have to reset the jig once setup. Make sure you can get templates for the type of joint you are wanting to use it for.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
HI Will

Well the General is for Blind dovetails the norm but it can be use the same way as the Katie jig but the fingers can't be moved..and it's a bit tricky to use it the same way as the Katie..and you need to use the same router bits in the Gen'l. as the Katie if you want to use it the same way..sometimes you will want to use a blind dovetail but I'm sure why, most of the time you will put a nice front board on the drawer or use lap face board on the front side, easy stuff with the Katie jig.

=======
Half-blind dovetail joints is the preferred joint over the through-dovetail with cabinetmakers, furniture makers for drawer construction even when used with a false front. It has to do with aesthetics & practicality. But if someone is building for themselves then they can certainly use any method that appeals to them.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi James

True but it's very hard to hide the drawer guides with the normal blind dovetail joints and it's so easy with that add on front to the drawers..
It's true you can rabbit the front of the drawer but it's a extra step that's not need by adding the simple add on front to the drawer.

Many of the high end cabinets have drawer guides..

=====

Half-blind dovetail joints is the preferred joint over the through-dovetail with cabinetmakers, furniture makers for drawer construction even when used with a false front. It has to do with aesthetics & practicality. But if someone is building for themselves then they can certainly use any method that appeals to them.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hi James

True but it's very hard to hide the drawer guides with the normal blind dovetail joints and it's so easy with that add on front to the drawers..

=====
Hi Bob,
That's were the lipped front comes in. Especially for a flush mount drawer where the front of the drawer box is also the outside surface of the drawer front. I use a false front as you described for overlay fronts but still machine for half-blind dovetails. For a flushmount drawer & side mount slides I will make a lipped front. For undermount slides such as the Blum softclose there is no need as the slides do not show but is still a good idea so you can fine tune your reveal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts