Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My sister had a great granddaughter born in August so I decided to make her a keepsake box to put her stuff in. Probably her parent, grandparents and great grandparents will put stuff in it for her. I made it out of ziricote wood which comes from Central America. I also used tiger maple for the top and a lift-out tray. I purchased the ziricote locally at a German veneer factory. They sell some lumber.

I have used ziricote before to make a basket for my wife for her birthday.

The finish: On the inside I put several coats of dewaxed shellac. On the outside I put several coats of dewax shellac followed by several coats of Zar polyurethane diluted with 50/50 mineral spirits. I don't sand between coats. The next to the last coat I use 500 grit foam sanding pad on random orbital sander to removed any dust from the finish, then apply one last coat.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
That is a really beautiful box. I like the contrast between the two woods, and the way the top goes on is very nice. The basket is teriffic as well.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Malcolm you always amaze me with your boxes. When you post something I always have to see what you have made.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
That's just nice, Malcom, just very nice indeed. I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Very,very nice Malcolm. You seem to always come up with the most unique designs, and your workmanship is top shelf.
I enjoy seeing your work. I have never heard of that kind of wood before, sure is pretty though.

Herb

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Excellent work, always a pleasure to view your posts.

Any chance of a couple of "in process" photos showing how you set the corners?

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,336 Posts
+1 what they all said.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The work on the top was engraved. I didn't do it. I have two fellows close by that does that for me and generally charge in the $20.00 range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts