Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some input on this project.

Is this too busy, or too floosey for a wedding gift?

Originally, I didn't have the flourishes in each corner. So do I remove a couple or all?

Their last name is Kotal. Since I used the house to replace the "o", I thought it would be nice to use the heart, and paint it red. Keith's mom suffers from heart disease, so the red seems appropriate.

Note: I already have the work piece stained and ready to carve. The stain is a dark brown (Rustoleum KONA). That is why I was thinking about using white for the text.

OH, and four pegs to make it a coat rack.

Your thought appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,829 Posts
I personally like the black,I also might remove the est think most people would understand thai is when they were married the reason to balance the lettering on the board

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Very nice idea. Can't really choose between the three but the middle one- the black stands out better, IMHO. My wife and I have a goblet that is etched with our first names and the date- June 17, 1972. Didn't think I remembered, did you?

·
Registered
Theo
6,907 Posts
I like the black, and have no problem leaving the est on. Not thrilled with the top tho. My preference would be to have the last name on the sign under the two names. Might have to make the sign a bit taller, but that would be no biggie. Coat hanger would be your choice. Or, make it a key rack, always handy, and make a separate coat tree.

·
Super Moderator
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the black, and have no problem leaving the est on. Not thrilled with the top tho. My preference would be to have the last name on the sign under the two names. Might have to make the sign a bit taller, but that would be no biggie. Coat hanger would be your choice. Or, make it a key rack, always handy, and make a separate coat tree.
This was my inspiration...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Mike, I'm going to take a little bit from some of the other comments:

I like #1 with the white lettering (I think black is too dark), but would remove the "est". I like the name on top but I would remove the house and leave the heart for the "o". I do like the flourishes in the corners.

In the end though, you know them better than we do, so your opinion is what really counts.

·
Registered
Theo
6,907 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Mike I like the flourishes. The Est is personal taste, I think the date stands for itself but I have done many inlays for wedding cutting boards and I would say 95% of the customers want the Est on the date. The house could be changed to an "O" but I see no problem with either one. I would use the black if the stain is on the light side and white if it is on the dark side. If the stain is a medium color then it would be personal taste.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,191 Posts
Since you ask, I like the flourishes but I’m not a fan of the black. It's just me, I know, but the black seems too harsh. Lately, I have been using Rustoleum's red primer instead of black because it tends to look like brown on the wood and gives a softer look that still has contrast. Then again, I kept my cypress natural and yours will be using a dark brown stain so the reddish brown may not work.

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
Mike,

I like the black and agree with Vince about the house. I like the house you posted on the Home sign but I think the heart and house leads to confusion. May I suggest the board could be cut in the house shape and then use the heart for the O and I think it would be nice. The est. seems more common in the USA than here but I've seen it many times so it's ok.

Dan

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Mike, I just re-read my post and realised that I hadn't given you credit for your design which was just fine, however, it's a fact that one of the easiest things in life is to improve on something that already exists.

Reactions: MT Stringer
1 - 20 of 27 Posts