Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the nice advantages of cnc work is being able to recycle vectors and use them in new projects. I used the gator from my Scott’s Chlll & Grill sign to make this 23" x 11" welcome sign. Even the shape of the sign was recycled from the earlier sign (with a slight modification).

The wood is one of those glued-up Lowe’s panels. The background color is Rustoleum red primer. I’d like to tell you about all the hours I spent mixing exotic wood dyes to color the gator, but in truth I just used some craft permanent markers. All I had to do was color inside the lines. I like how the wood grain still shows through. After a few coats of gloss finish it will be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Ollie,

Those markers don't bleed? I tried using a sharpie on those pine panels for smaller lettering and it was abig big mess. Had to recut the project!!

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ollie,

Those markers don't bleed? I tried using a sharpie on those pine panels for smaller lettering and it was abig big mess. Had to recut the project!!
I didn't have any problems, John, but as I said, I was coloring inside the lines. Here's a look at the sign after painting the background and sanding the foreground. You can see the carved artwork lines made separation of the colors very easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Oliver because Router Forums pages open on my computer with adds and I have to reload to get rid of them, I got to see advertisements for Louisiana tourism supper imposed on top of the picture of your finished sign just like you had done this sign for them. Looked neat, maybe you should see if they would be interested in using your sign!

Of course I also got to see an advertisement for some kind of drugs on top of the picture of the markers. I did not think that was neat but very annoying.

Great sign by the way!

·
Registered
Paul
1,861 Posts
Nice sign, Oliver and I like the idea of using markers... might come in handy for adding smaller details that are difficult in paint.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,336 Posts
Very nice indeed, Oliver.

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
Nice work, as usual, Oliver...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts