Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
It looks suspiciously like an off shore clone to me. I guess the price should give you the answer to that. A 3 1/4 HP router like the Porter cable 7518 has a list price of $350 US. Let the buyer beware!

Mike

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have King sliding compound mitre saw, King planer and King jointer. I am pleased with all of them.

~Julie~

·
Registered
51 Posts
King Canada

go5 said:
Anyone ever use or know anything about King Canada tools? Never heard of them (may not be a good thing) and saw a ruter today that caught my eye.
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=400&ID=11536

Obviously a Canadian company so don't know how many canadians here
King is actually a pretty decent tool. Their 8367 router sports 3 1/4 hp.Very stable and powerful. Doesn't lose rpms under load.

·
Registered
51 Posts
aniceone2hold said:
It looks suspiciously like an off shore clone to me. I guess the price should give you the answer to that. A 3 1/4 HP router like the Porter cable 7518 has a list price of $350 US. Let the buyer beware!

Mike
The King router is worth 3 Porter Cables and Makita too for that matter.I really like mine. Heavy though. 12or 13 pounds. But no vibes. Good table router. For hand work I prefer Bosch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
King Canada

go5 said:
Anyone ever use or know anything about King Canada tools? Never heard of them (may not be a good thing) and saw a ruter today that caught my eye.
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=400&ID=11536

Obviously a Canadian company so don't know how many canadians here
I'm not sure if my message made it. I have a King 8367 router and like it.Good, strong, stable. Worth 3 Porter Cables. Heavy though. 12-13 lbs. Good table router,no vibes. For hand work prefer Bosch.King doesn't lose rpms under load.Goes for $110-$150 US.

·
Registered
76 Posts
cabinetsetc said:
I'm not sure if my message made it. I have a King 8367 router and like it.Good, strong, stable. Worth 3 Porter Cables. Heavy though. 12-13 lbs. Good table router,no vibes. For hand work prefer Bosch.King doesn't lose rpms under load.Goes for $110-$150 US.
How long have you had your KC router?
How much do you use it? (Hrs per week?)
Have you had any problems? If so how was service?

TIA
CB

·
Registered
51 Posts
King Canada

CanuckBeaver said:
How long have you had your KC router?
How much do you use it? (Hrs per week?)
Have you had any problems? If so how was service?

TIA
CB
I've only had the router a coup;e of days. Have a king contractors saw and cut at least 10,000 board ft. Same with planer. No problems so far. Also have portable planer used very little but no prob. I think it's one of the better values out there, and still affordable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
cabinetsetc said:
I've only had the router a coup;e of days. Have a king contractors saw and cut at least 10,000 board ft. Same with planer. No problems so far. Also have portable planer used very little but no prob. I think it's one of the better values out there, and still affordable.
I think my shop is going to look like kindergarden fingerpainting with lots of blue, green, grey and RED all around it!

Thanks Cabinet...
CB

·
Registered
84 Posts
cabinetsetc said:
The King router is worth 3 Porter Cables and Makita too for that matter.I really like mine. Heavy though. 12or 13 pounds. But no vibes. Good table router. For hand work I prefer Bosch.

What is it exactly about the King router that makes it worth 3 PCs? Everything I have that was made in Canada is first rate but after owning the King router for only 3 days what have you observed about the King router that's better than the PC 7518 or the big Milwaukee?

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
The price?

·
Registered
51 Posts
King

DONALD said:
What is it exactly about the King router that makes it worth 3 PCs? Everything I have that was made in Canada is first rate but after owning the King router for only 3 days what have you observed about the King router that's better than the PC 7518 or the big Milwaukee?
I have a PC and in comparrison the stability factor is most prominent also like the no drag and no vibes. Maybe I jumped the gun by sayimg 3 pcs because I never really liked the PC value for dollar. I never actually liked it from the day I got it. When I buy a new tool The first day or two I "testdrive" it.I like to find out a tool can't handle a specific job before I have to do the job. I should have said "I like it 3 times more." Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
If a router that sells for even $169CD out performs a PC 7518 then it must be a good deal. I dont have a closed mind about tools. By way of comparison, what does a Bosch 1617 combo pack sell for in Canada? I know I use my Bosch for most of the things I do. I got my PC 7518 used a couple times by a guy I know. It was just too heavy for him, and he swapped me for a torpedo heater and 20 lb tank of propane. I figure I am out about $105 US. Hey, here you can buy a 2HP Skil Plunge with LED worklight for $63.

If there is anybody in or near Windsor, ON with one of these King routers I would love to see it in action. Contact me and we will plan a day of making the sawdust fly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
aniceone2hold said:
If a router that sells for even $169CD out performs a PC 7518 then it must be a good deal. I dont have a closed mind about tools. By way of comparison, what does a Bosch 1617 combo pack sell for in Canada? I know I use my Bosch for most of the things I do. I got my PC 7518 used a couple times by a guy I know. It was just too heavy for him, and he swapped me for a torpedo heater and 20 lb tank of propane. I figure I am out about $105 US. Hey, here you can buy a 2HP Skil Plunge with LED worklight for $63.

If there is anybody in or near Windsor, ON with one of these King routers I would love to see it in action. Contact me and we will plan a day of making the sawdust fly.
Mike a 1617 combo kit is $350 regular price. I would imagine there are sales that knock it down to $300 or perhaps $280. The competition in Calgary is pretty stiff so nobody charges WAY to much and lives very long. Here is some pricing with bot Canadian and US funds.
http://www.houseoftools.com/subcat.htm?cat=1890
If you click on the link to the specifics of the tool US prices come up, and if you are in a really strange mood you could also pay in Euro's. :confused:

These guys are pretty much the benchmark in Calgary. They pretty much match the BORGs.
Hope that helps.
CB

·
Registered
382 Posts
re: Did your King Portible Planer come with a quickjig for setting your blades.
------------------
If you mean the gizmo that helps you set the blades parallel and the correct height, yes. I didn't know it was called a quickjig.
~Julie~

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been doing some homework on the King Router Model#8367 3 1/4 HP variable speed plunge router. I live near Cobourg, Ontario, east of Toronto and the local hardware store sells this model for $140.00 Cdn. In the fall, King had a sale on and they were priced at $100.00 Cdn. I noticed it shares a more than striking similarity to the Makita 3612C 3 1/4 HP VS plunge router. The only difference is the lock on the plunge is on the other post. Unlike other knock offs, this lock seems to be well made.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.