Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an email from a dealer I often use and found this to be an interesting clamp to think about. It's called the Kliss Clamp made by a cabinet maker for use in his production shop. Looks like an ideal clamp to have and appears very useful especially if clamped down or secured in some other way to your work surface. I haven't seen anything like this before and the wedge seems like a great idea. You can see it here And no, I'm not linked to this in any way, just passing along what I think is a great idea.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
link??? picture???

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
ahhhh!!!
thanks...

·
Registered
21,694 Posts
That would be handy for case work. Don't do much of that amymore, and have always used other methods to hold things vertical. Wondered why it has a cutaway base and then realized that allows you to lay the edge flat to join to another piece.

I noticed in the video that it didn't lock the workpiece vertical. There was some play that allowed the piece to rock back and forth. I think you could make something like this fairly easily, perhaps with a little more bracing. Nice item though.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
I love how everything 'old' is new again, I have a horizontal clamp very similar to this application that has been handy for working with small parts over the years. I don't know how old it is, but the phone number has 'words' in it... so it's back a ways. It came to me from my Great-Uncle out in Shelbyville, IL about 25 years ago. I screw it down to the bench wherever and whenever needed, otherwise it lives in it's box.

The clamp is surprisingly strong for it's size.

Those kliss clamps would come in handy if working on a lot of doors, or other big bits that need to be worked on edge. If you are a contractor finishing a house, I be they are very handy and portable.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Certainly wouldn't buy one if I wanted one. Should be plenty easy to duplicate, for very few $.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Lots of ways to do that, and without spending any money. I believe that Mike @MT Stringer showed a version of #3 in a post a while back. You can also use this method to hold a door for trimming, cutting hinge mortises, etc., just clamp to a sawhorse with the jaws overhanging, separate the sawhorses by the appropriate distance and clamp the door in place - finally, a use for those 12" hand screws that you bought on a whim :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love how everything 'old' is new again, I have a horizontal clamp very similar to this application that has been handy for working with small parts over the years. I don't know how old it is, but the phone number has 'words' in it... so it's back a ways. It came to me from my Great-Uncle out in Shelbyville, IL about 25 years ago. I screw it down to the bench wherever and whenever needed, otherwise it lives in it's box.

The clamp is surprisingly strong for it's size.

Those kliss clamps would come in handy if working on a lot of doors, or other big bits that need to be worked on edge. If you are a contractor finishing a house, I be they are very handy and portable.
Tried calling and no answer......probably out of stock and shipping maybe an additional $0.25. I'll bet gas was a lot cheaper then as well.........

·
Registered
Paul
2,100 Posts
I remember seeing an idea for holding doors upright. The advantage of the clamp shown is how it handles different thicknesses, although you could use shims for the homemade one. This is like an extension of Chucks idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I remember seeing an idea for holding doors upright. The advantage of the clamp shown is how it handles different thicknesses, although you could use shims for the homemade one. This is like an extension of Chucks idea.
instead of the hinge use a thin plywood cut cross grain...

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I good finish carpenter always used to have at least one of those in his gear, with the 1/2" plywood like Stick commented on. Also had the same thing a foot wide with 2 casters on it to move those big heavy solid core doors around.
Herb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.