Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently experiencing a new problem with a Laguna IQ CNC. After creating mmg files with V-Carve and I execute the file there is a problem with the z-Axis machining. The x and y geometry is done correctly but the z travel seems to be factored by 1/2. i.e. trying to cut a through circle in 3/4 (.76") baltic birch only cuts to a depth of 3/8. Vectric warns me that I am going to cut through stock which I confirm.

I tried remaking the file all over again and tried executing a completely different file and there is the same issue.

Any thoughts

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
What controller are you using? Do you have a manual data input window where you can issue a command for Z to travel a specified distance and then measure that distance to see if it's correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What controller are you using? Do you have a manual data input window where you can issue a command for Z to travel a specified distance and then measure that distance to see if it's correct?
It is a Richauto A11 controller like this
. Unfortunately I am not near the machine this weekend so will not be able to answer all questions probably, but I do know that I can do that. There is an option to pulse to distance or input distance. I can try that.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
In Mach4 there is a field called MDI where I can input a simple G-code to move any axis any direction at any speed and it's really good for testing or calibration. When I calibrated my CNC a simple command to move Z five inches, for example, and then measure to see if it moved that amount made for easy calibration and to know that commands sent to the machine would follow what I specified in my CAD/CAM software.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In Mach4 there is a field called MDI where I can input a simple G-code to move any axis any direction at any speed and it's really good for testing or calibration. When I calibrated my CNC a simple command to move Z five inches, for example, and then measure to see if it moved that amount made for easy calibration and to know that commands sent to the machine would follow what I specified in my CAD/CAM software.
Ok I will investigate that. Thanks for your responses.

·
Official Greeter
19,758 Posts
Welcome to the forum, LoStriver,,,

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome
I would check my Z axix coupling to be sure it's not slipping. And check the bit to make sure it's not bottomed out when it's tight and spinning loose when the Z axis puts pressure on it.
good luck
Doc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts