Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from the New England Working show:

The Woodworking Shows | Schedule

It was interesting and many companies were there. In addition there were some good seminars.
Powermatic and Jet were represented with many tools. However, I was hoping to see Laguna, Rikon and Grizzly. None of them were there. Where can I see their band saws, tablesaws, etc on display? (Yeah, I know Grizzly has a showroom in MI, but don’t they participate in any woodworking shows?)
What about Laguna?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
woodcraft..

Reactions: Chris Hachet

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Rockler has Laguna (I have a fourteen/12 and really love it). Woodcraft has Rikon. After comparison, reading reviews, it was a clear choice for me. I already owned the Laguna 10 inch Fusion table saw and it has really performed. I just bought a Rikon 10 inch band saw and it is nice for a small saw, but comparing the interior of the Rikon 14 to the Laguna, the differences all added up. And I got the Laguna for about $987 on sale, so the price difference wasn't much. The Rikon says it will accept a 1 inch resaw blade, the Laguna takes a 3/4 inch. The Laguna has cool blocks, which are really easy to set up, and to my eye, the Laguna's trunions appear to be really huge. Nothing wrong with the Rikon, a really good saw, I just think the Laguna tops it. BTW, if you get the Laguna, be sure to look up the videos on setting it up. I was able to assemble the thing single handed without any strain at all. Watch the video before you break the tape seal, there is a specific sequence.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I saw a 16" Laguna operating at a woodworking show in Vancouver a few years ago and the term "Swiss sewing machine" comes to mind. I put my hand on it and if I hadn't been able to see it running I'm not sure I would known it was running.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I didn't know there was a 16" Laguna band saw!

But this post is about exposure. Where can a customer view their tools? As I said, they weren't present at a major show in New England. A retailer here in my area said they didn't get any tools from Laguna, unlike Jet or Powermatic. It's the same with Grizzly, that have a showroom in...MI. (The PA showroom was closed). 99% of the market cannot see or touch their tools, (but if it works and they sell)...good for them.

Will check other Woodcraft centers, maybe one of these have something on display.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I do like the Italian bandsaws. I switched from a Rikon 14 inch to a Minimax 18 inch Italian BS. The Italian BS is so smooth. I never would go back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Rockler has Laguna (I have a fourteen/12 and really love it). Woodcraft has Rikon. After comparison, reading reviews, it was a clear choice for me. I already owned the Laguna 10 inch Fusion table saw and it has really performed. I just bought a Rikon 10 inch band saw and it is nice for a small saw, but comparing the interior of the Rikon 14 to the Laguna, the differences all added up. And I got the Laguna for about $987 on sale, so the price difference wasn't much. The Rikon says it will accept a 1 inch resaw blade, the Laguna takes a 3/4 inch. The Laguna has cool blocks, which are really easy to set up, and to my eye, the Laguna's trunions appear to be really huge. Nothing wrong with the Rikon, a really good saw, I just think the Laguna tops it. BTW, if you get the Laguna, be sure to look up the videos on setting it up. I was able to assemble the thing single handed without any strain at all. Watch the video before you break the tape seal, there is a specific sequence.
14/12 is a fantastic saw, plus one on watching the Video. IMHO Laguna all the way on this. :smile:

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I noticed a discrepancy in the mention of Grizzly showrooms. There are only 2. One in Bellingham,Washington and one in Springfield, Missouri. With the use of the 2 letter state designations and auto spelling it is easy to miss and to get mixed up. No malice intended.

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Looks like Woodcraft has a 10% sale on Laguna. That's about what I paid for mine.

I live about 90 minutes from Laguna's HQ and have been there abour 3 times. Last time I went there with a friend who bought the 16 inch Italian saw. They even had a 38 inch model on display. I got their 10 inch hybrid table saw several years ago and found one of the wings on the table was bowed about 1 mm in the middle and just wouldn't line up. Called about a replacement and they said, come on in and we'll handle it.

Got there and they'd set up a brand new saw, specked it out and laid a couple of stainless steel straight bars on it and found one spot that was slightly low, but well within specifications. Helped me load it onto my truck. Now, that's service. They had a workshop/video studio there and a display room with nearly all their products on display. You can make a purchase there. Pretty close to John Wayne airport in Orange County, CA. My engineer friend was amazed at the quality, design and build of all the machines. We even got to see the sharpening machine in action working over their terrific ResawKing blade. My friend got the larger machine, which can take the 1 inch ResawKing, plus their top of the line fence system. I think it came with a foot brake, but can't be sure--slight memory lapse.

While there that visit, the salesman gave me a video with the owner/CEO who used one of the saws to slice an incredibly ugly Cherry root ball. It was a wonder of swirls and burls, perfect for a jewelry box. That was what got me started on saving up for the Fourteen/12. It was on sale for $987 at Rockler, watch for their sales. You will love that saw. Buy a few good blades while you're at it. They have a new model with a foot brake, but I don't think it is needed for a small or home shop. Those oversized bearings are so slick they take a little time to come to a stop.

One of the things I really like is that the tension relief lever when relaxed hangs into the throat of the saw, so you're less likely to start it and derail the blade--something that could mess up your ResawKing.

The Rikon is a pretty nice saw, and if the budget just won't stretch, I think I would have been happy with it, but for a few hundred extra bucks, definitely prefer the Laguna. They've pretty much set the standard for consumer saws. One thing I learned about Laguna is that their agreement with manufacturers includes a requirement that they not flatten iron surfaces until the material has sat and "relaxed" for 6 months. Once ground flat, that seasoned iron stays flat. You will also be impressed by their packaging, designed to make sure their tools stay great during shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts