Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a router table top and applying laminate over and under 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF. How long would I have to wait after applying the laminate before I can rout the edges and cut out for the router plate and T-tracks?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hi,
I machine right after laminate is applied. The waiting time is waiting for the contact cement to dry to apply laminate to top. Use a roller or similar to press laminate firmly to top.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If you used contact cement, James is right - no waiting is required . . . in theory. I still like to leave the surface clamped (or under weight) overnight before subjecting it to stress. Other adhesives have different curing times.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm building a router table top and applying laminate over and under 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF. How long would I have to wait after applying the laminate before I can rout the edges and cut out for the router plate and T-tracks?
Many thanks.
Just wondering if you are doing edges also. If so then do edges first

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Ditto to all the above.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Just wondering if you are doing edges also. If so then do edges first
In my own experience commercial work is generally done the other way round, i.e. top/bottom, then edges. Easier to repair for certain.

As to waiting time straight away works, but the OP will find that the cutter bearing will often clog up unless extreme care has been taken applying the contact adhesive. If left a little while to cure out this is generally less of a problem

Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts