Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,last night as I closed my laptop I heard a loud crack & one of the hinges had broke,so I may be missing for a spell while it is repaired.My family say it has reached its use by date,get a new one.The only thing broken is one hinge,otherwise it's ok for my limited use.
Has any other Forum Member had a laptop hinge break & had it repaired successfully?Thanks in anticipation,James.jj777746

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
A picture would probably be helpful to those that might offer suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
It probably would be cheeper to hook up an external monitor if you don't carry your laptop around with you. Same thing happened to me and that is what I did. Now I have a new laptop and it is hooked up to the monitor. Much easier to see the stuff on a bigger screen.

The one with the broke hinge is sitting in the closet pouting.:surprise::grin:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
yes on a Compaq..
get another unit w/ W7 or 8 but not 10...

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
You can find lots of new laptops with 7 on them. I have gotten great refurbished ones at Tampa Laptops, an authorized refurbisher. Most manufacturers still supply new with 7 installed. Get the 32 bit version, not 64, and get the pro version, it is a bit more robust. Since you aren't too shy about your computer's tech aspects, and if you buy refurbished, consider making a bootable clone drive after you're set up the supplied disk. Have it installed and you'll get maximum life out of the laptop.

I don't know how your vision is, but I now want a big screen and have 23 inch monitors for most of my computers. They're dirt cheap these days.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you can't replace it right now and its only the hinge.
I would duct tape it that would keep it from flopping around and put something to hold it up when open.
Your are a woodworker get creative maybe a plate stand style support would keep the monitor part supported.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
I did find a local guy who replaced the screen on a laptop some years ago, In the process, he tightened up the hinge. But the repair of a hinge only is dependent on how the hinge mechanism is set up, is it connected to metal, or glued into plastic, for example.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Look on fleabay for a broken laptop like yours. You can usually pick them up for cheap and just put the m/board, hdrive and dvd drive into the new case. It's not as difficult as you might think. My daughter broke the hinge on hers and that is what I did to repair the problem.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Laptop Problem Solved

It's Father's Day next Sunday here in New South Wales & all family members will be here bringing Dad gifts.My daughter is donating an old laptop & one of my three sons will switch mother board & hard drive etc. Many thanks to Forum Members for their helpful suggestions. James

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'll be very interested to see how you get along with this. I have 2 laptops that Dr. Son abused over the years, and broken screen hinges is all that's wrong with them.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
You can buy hinges on Amazon and replace them yourself. I bought a set for one of my laptops but have not found the time to replace them. Check youtube for videos.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did find a local guy who replaced the screen on a laptop some years ago, In the process, he tightened up the hinge. But the repair of a hinge only is dependent on how the hinge mechanism is set up, is it connected to metal, or glued into plastic, for example.
@ desertRat Tom,the hinge is connected by steel & one would swear it was built so flimsy it's guaranteed to break.Planned obs????
Hate this throw away society.Many thanks,James jj777746

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be very interested to see how you get along with this. I have 2 laptops that Dr. Son abused over the years, and broken screen hinges is all that's wrong with them.
Will post the outcome/result ,whatever,next week.James jj777746

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can buy hinges on Amazon and replace them yourself. I bought a set for one of my laptops but have not found the time to replace them. Check youtube for videos.
I may have to go that route thanks Mike,should know by next Monday.James jj777746

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes on a Compaq..
get another unit w/ W7 or 8 but not 10...
I began to thank you for your advice re w7-8 not 10 etc. & it just disappeared off the screen. Vot der.It is possessed I tell you.James.jj777746

1 - 16 of 16 Posts