Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a very tough time finding a bit to make the curve as shown in the picture below. Keep in mind that the full curve in the example picture is about 6". So im looking for a bit with a 3" long shallow curved cutting surface. Can anyone locate such a bit for me? Or possibly there is a better way of doing this without 18 years of sanding? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
John
6,942 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.Bob

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Having a very tough time finding a bit to make the curve as shown in the picture below. Keep in mind that the full curve in the example picture is about 6". So im looking for a bit with a 3" long shallow curved cutting surface. Can anyone locate such a bit for me? Or possibly there is a better way of doing this without 18 years of sanding? Thanks!

that's done w/ a reverse profile drawer cutter on shaper....
maybe a finger or thumbnail bit might work for you...
ready made molding comes in that profile...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for all the replies. So there isnt a way to get the same result with a router? I dont have access to a shaper.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
thanks for all the replies. So there isnt a way to get the same result with a router? I dont have access to a shaper.
rough hand plane or spokeshave it and sand to finish profile..

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
Hi Bob,,,,just checking. Are you talking about the curve on the box end or the profile on the lid?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bob,,,,just checking. Are you talking about the curve on the box end or the profile on the lid?
sorry for the confusion. The curve on the box. I have the MLCS furniture maker bit (item #8592) but it is not nearly large enough and leaves a large flat spot in the profile of the box.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Looks like a job for a band saw to me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You could build a curved router jig similar to a jig to plane a board flat only with the curve for which you are looking. That way you would be starting with the same curve for all sides. After that sanding would be required to get the proper finish.

Buck

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
This can be done with a router.
You would build a jig that moves the wood in an arc across the end of a straight bit.

When I made my stave drum shell, I built a jig that rotated the entire shell. The jig for this profile would be similar but only needs to move wood in a 6" arc.

Like the swinging pendulum movement that a grandfather clock has.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
A while back I did a few boxes with curved sides, (not as acute as those you're looking at, but the same process). Hand planed and block sanded to final form. If reasonably proficient with a hand plane, not as bad a task as you may think...sanding down to proper final form took a little time.

http://www.routerforums.com/twoskies57-gallery/35209-latest-batch-boxes.html

The type of wood you choose to go with will dramatically impact the whole process.

Reactions: Stick486

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Make a jig that mounts the box on a pendulum arm at each end. The length of each arm will determine the radius. Then swing the box back and forth over a straight bit on a router table. You'll still need to do some scraping, planing, and/or sanding but not as much.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Bob, if you could lay your hannds on a lathe, you could glue up the wood in a pipe shape, turn it to desired curvature, and then cut out the sides again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I made this box using my table saw to cut the box sides at an angle and then used a hand plane and sanding. Very easy...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Bob I can see that you want to make more than one of these so a router can work, your profile is large so I would get a cutter made for use in a router table, a half cutter, a cutter that does this in one pass would be every large and thin in the middle with a lot of top weight, to hold it together then the middle would have to be very strong and I don't see how that could be made in an affordable way but a half cutter would work, big at the bottom and thin at the top so you would do the cut in a few passes as there is far too much wood to take off in one pass, I would set up to take it off in several passes with the last one the thinnest, the only reason to get a cutter made is that you want to make a hundred of them, making a few, then I would first make the box and then plane it off with the box in a vise, use a profile guide to get them the same. N

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi all, thanks for all the replies. Didnt realize all the activity this thread got. The subscription email feature couldnt keep up I guess. To update everyone, I have a request in to a couple companies to see about getting a custom router bit made. Hoping they come back with some good news.

I do like the idea of creating a jig to use if the custom bit route doesnt work. My biggest obstacle with this whole project is my lack of certain tools (lathe, band saw) and my lack of ability with a hand plane. I am attempting to create several of these projects with uniformity which is why I am seeking the router bit direction. Ill keep everyone posted and again, thanks for all the replies with great information.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts