Super Moderator
John
6,834 Posts
very nicely done Joe
I am sure he was thrilled

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Good job, love that cedar. Great idea too. People love their pets , they are a part of the family. Also a chest like that would look good around the home.

Herb

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
preferably without its occupant.
I know your joking , but,
I was thinking more like a blanket chest,or an entrance hall chest to sit on to remove your shoes ,then store them inside, or by the fireplace for kindling and old news papers to start the fire, toy box for the kids,lots of different jobs it could be used for. Is a shame to bury such a nice chest.
Herb

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Very well done Joe.

In the past blanket chest made from cedar were very popular.

·
Premium Member
19,237 Posts
That must have been a great dog to deserve such a nice resting place. Nicely done. Neptune Society just sent me my box.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the compliments, this was just a variation on my cedar chest that I have made for years.

When this all went down the customer had come to the shop to discuss the particulars on this, wood type, color, dimensions and such.

As I was showing him different species he saw a four gun rack made from cedar for another customer and loved it, so that's what we went with.

He wanted to show his wife but she didn't think she could handle the emotions. This is just on standby until the time comes so he had to put it in storage, they know the time is coming and wanted to be prepared.

·
Registered
813 Posts
For anyone thinking of making a pet casket Rockler sells a hardware kit that includes some plans. I need to turn an urn for one on our dogs ashes and a couple for my wife & I to use when that time comes. Anyone have any thoughts on either issue ? I don't know anything about sizing the containers, the turning I can handle. If anyone has don this & has pictures it would be most helpful.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ref: Neptune Society just sent me my box.

Did it look like a Chinese "take out box" ?

I used to make solid cedar chests. Until I got my drum sander, I took the glued up panels to a shop that did. They turned off the dust system in the shop and enjoyed the aroma. A lacquer finish (on the outside only) rubbed out beautifully.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts