Router Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Looks good David, ready to carve some meat on.

That really helps to have a friend with the tools needed when your's just aren't up to a task. I do like those large belt sanders but they are too expensive for a home shop and take up too much room. The one we had in the last aircarft cabinet shop I worked in would take up to 36" wide items and had a 12" duct for dust collection.

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Looks good David, ready to carve some meat on.

That really helps to have a friend with the tools needed when yours just aren't up to a task. I do like those large belt sanders but they are too expensive for a home shop and take up too much room. The one we had in the last aircarft cabinet shop I worked in would take up to 36" wide items and had a 12" duct for dust collection.
Yep, that's what this one is - 36" with 12" duct. And it's sitting right beside a 24" planer with helical cutterhead, also at my disposal. :grin:

David

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
We're finally at the point where I'm applying the mineral oil and Beeswax finish. Got the cutting board laser engraved yesterday and have now put three good coats of mineral oil and let that soak in and am now applying a good, heavy coat of Beeswax with mineral oil (my mixture).

I'll let the Beeswax set for about 4 hours and then wipe off as much as I can, flip it and do the other side. I'll continue wiping it down until it can go a few hours without seeing any wet spots. This part could take a couple of days.

In the Epilog laser right after engraving (you can go to my Instagram and see the engraving in motion) -
023 - Laser engraving complete.JPG

One coat of mineral oil -
024 - One coat of mineral oil, more to come.JPG

Beeswax applied, it's a nice, rich color -
025 - Three coats of mineral oil, one heavy coat of Beeswax.JPG

David

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Three coats of mineral oil with the last being a mineral oil/Beeswax mix. I let that set for about 6 hours and then buff it with paper towels to get the excess Beeswax off. The cutting board is left with a rich luster sheen that is velvety smooth.

Working side -
026 - Beeswax buffed, first pass.jpg

Show side -
027 - Show side, buffed Beeswax.JPG

028 - Show side, buffed Beeswax.JPG

David

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Now that it is finished and the sharp edges have been rounded over the only thing to watch out for is accidently dropping that big boy on your toes.

Looks great David.

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Now that it is finished and the sharp edges have been rounded over the only thing to watch out for is accidently dropping that big boy on your toes.

Looks great David.
Thanks, Mike! I have almost dropped it and no I would not be fun. The finished weight is 21 lbs. and that's about 22 lbs. more than I want dropping on my foot.

David

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
David there is a tiny groove around the blood grove on the top edge, how did you do that? That board came out very nice.
HErb
That's the profile I decided on in my CAD software, just thought I'd try it to see how it looks. So far everyone has liked it. I wish I had some technical reason for it but it was simply a cosmetic style choice, Herb.

David

21 - 34 of 34 Posts