Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
welp, finally got around to finishing up the cutting boards/lazy susan made from scraps I started a while back. In the end, I had 22 cutting boards, 6 lazy susans, a couple bread boards and a couple cheese boards and one serving tray. Ohh and about 2 dozen coasters. Both of the projects below were actually what was left from two failed cutting board projects. One was a 3d cutting board and the other was just a fancy pattern cutting board. Neither turned out due to my poor setup for the cuts. I probably could have salvaged both projects but I'm just not all that much into salvaging projects like these. I am glad though, that I did save the pieces...

The cutting board serving tray/cutting board is all endgrain. I really like how it turned out and it has given me ideas for several others down the road. Both were finished with food grade, 3-5 coats, scuffed between coats. Finish will be a nice bee's wax topcoat...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
yowzer!!!!

Reactions: TwoSkies57

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Double Yowzer - - At least you can use the serving tray ---- the cutting boards no. Too pretty!

Reactions: TwoSkies57

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Fantastic ,Bill, I really like your designs, you really out did yourself on that last one, the end grain tray. That is a lot of work figuring out those designs and making up boards to be cut so that they form the finished design. Great job.

What about that table in the second picture? Pretty fancy shop table.
Herb

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Double Yowzer - - At least you can use the serving tray ---- the cutting boards no. Too pretty!

Thanks John...

Its kinda funny. The cutting board kinda grows of ya. Honestly I didn't think it was all that great at first. but when I got offered 75 bucks for it....I really liked it alot :)

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fantastic ,Bill, I really like your designs, you really out did yourself on that last one, the end grain tray. That is a lot of work figuring out those designs and making up boards to be cut so that they form the finished design. Great job.

What about that table in the second picture? Pretty fancy shop table.
Herb

@Herb Stoops

Thank ya Herb....

the serving tray is a great lesson on "Planning out" your projects. Something I dont' always do and didn't do on this one. It was kind of a design on the fly project. I havn't put it out there for sale yet, but if there is enough interest, a couple of templates will be in order. I spent hours hand sanding that thing. I didn't take a pic of the bottom. I put in 3, 1/4" x 1" runners. 2 walnut and 1 maple. The runner protrude from the bottom by a little less than 1/8". Just a little protection against the possibility of it separating width wise along one of the sections. The random pattern kinda grows on ya.

I'll get a couple pics of the "table" and tell you whats up with that one

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those look great, Bill! Especially the serving tray - very nice. It would be nice to see how you went about building that.

David
David... if I do, do another, I will do a "how-to" on it. :smile:

If you saw how I went about doing this one, you'd just shake your head :surprise:

winging it and deciding what I'm going to do with it as I went along wouldn't have been anything short of laughable.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
If you saw how I went about doing this one, you'd just shake your head :surprise:

winging it and deciding what I'm going to do with it as I went along wouldn't have been anything short of laughable.
I think most of us do things that aren't "by the book" and do stupid, cunning, smart, desparate, or lucky things to make it work.

Most of which is better left unseen in the shop.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,201 Posts
David... if I do, do another, I will do a "how-to" on it. :smile:

I can't laugh because I'm doing a cutting board right now that is as stooooopid a way to build one as I've ever seen. Piece by piece - ugh! The 'pattern' is that there is no pattern, so I can't glue up strips, cut them to size, orient them differently, and then glue them back because that leaves a pattern. I told a friend I would build this for her and it just takes forever. Pretty sure I won't be doing another one this way. This is what it looks like piece by piece until I get to 15" square -
Wood Table Architecture woodworking Floor

David

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
David,

Why couldn't you just glue up a bunch of odds and ends and carve something out of it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.