Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
David
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to do something I'll guess you guys up north didn't do today. Mowed, trimmed, and edged the yard in shirt sleeves. Gotta' be the latest I've ever mowed, day after Thanksgiving. But it's all neat and trimmed, grass, leaves, and Cypress needles all in the trash, and the neatest yard on the street for the time being. Our neighbors on either side and I have sort of a running laugh with 'if you do yours then that means I have to do mine', so we'll see if they respond.

Last mowing (sun was just about gone so the light is low) -
Last mowing for the year - 11-25-17.jpg

David

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Neat & tidy it is David. We have a likewise competition with our neighbours,as soon as my wife mows our lawns the neighbours mow theirs. It's like they are waiting for the signal
lol. Jamesjj777746

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just did mine today... but I was the neighbor in between those who already did it :) But we also share in the same joke. Not quite shirt sleeves here in Northern VA...but it was very nice in the low 60's. Funny thing is that come Spring I will be in short sleeves and shorts when it reaches the 60's.

Reactions: difalkner

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
No grass or mowing in my desert yard. But it was a beautiful day. Spent it in my office shed and its porch, with the door wide open for fresh air. Reached the high 70s today.

·
Super Moderator
David
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did mine today... but I was the neighbor in between those who already did it :) But we also share in the same joke. Not quite shirt sleeves here in Northern VA...but it was very nice in the low 60's. Funny thing is that come Spring I will be in short sleeves and shorts when it reaches the 60's.
Yep, ours on both sides did theirs 3-4 weeks ago so I purposely waited. You know, to WIN :grin:

David

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
I was outside most of the day yesterday raking leaves and picking up other debris. Absolutely FANTASTIC weather for the end of November... not sure how high the temp got, but I was in my t-shirt at one point.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I can count of 3 things here in the fall in SW Pa.
1: there is a two week window that the fall foliage is simply spectacular.
2: I make a 15' x 15' x6' high leaf pile for the grandkids to play in..and man oh man, do they ever love it
and 3: 50-60 hours of raking and gathering up leaves. And I got an old Craftsman tow behind the lawn tractor leaf collector. The greatest
piece of yard equipment ever invented!!!!!

Things are usually wrapped up by the first week in Nov.. Not this year, fall came late and slowly..I'll be out later today cleaning the yard,
hopefully for the last time...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
...to do something I'll guess you guys up north didn't do today. Mowed, trimmed, and edged the yard in shirt sleeves. Gotta' be the latest I've ever mowed, day after Thanksgiving. But it's all neat and trimmed, grass, leaves, and Cypress needles all in the trash, and the neatest yard on the street for the time being. Our neighbors on either side and I have sort of a running laugh with 'if you do yours then that means I have to do mine', so we'll see if they respond.

Last mowing (sun was just about gone so the light is low) -
View attachment 311370

David
There is nothing quite the same as a well groomed yard!!!

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
This shot was taken a long time ago and was probably one of the last times that I personally looked after the lawns. I now have a very good contractor but I can't bring myself to sell my 20" reel mower and edging machines which I bought in the early 70's.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Neat & tidy it is David. We have a likewise competition with our neighbours,as soon as my wife mows our lawns the neighbours mow theirs. It's like they are waiting for the signal
lol. Jamesjj777746
I used to get a laugh out of the older lady who lived across the street. Even if her grass had been mowed a couple of days ago, as soon as she'd see me mowing mine, she'd get on the phone and before you knew it the kid she hired would be over there mowing hers.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
That's the way it works in our neighborhood, too. Usually it's Ken who starts the domino effect, or our neighbor on the right. He'll see Ken or Ken will see him and say "Dam now I have to do mine!" while laughing. The latest was with the leaves. We have one tree in our front yard, while they have two. Ours was done with it's leaves three weeks ago. His? It decided to throw it's leaves in our yard at a record pace the day after Ken decided to clean up the last of ours. It was hilarious. We knew we had a an asphalt driveway, but deuced if we could see it under that thick layer of leaves... :lol:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Lucky folks ! My grass is frozen and we had snow again last night, not much but a dusting. I finished my yardwork about two weeks ago and that was late for these parts, but the weather was warm until then. Only task to do is remove the battery from my lawn tractor and bring it in the heated workshop.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
None of that competition here. Got til Sunday nite to get what you can ready --- pick up is early Monday morning.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It wasn't shirtsleeves here in Ohio but it was sunny and pretty nice out. Got the grass done and the leaves cleaned up for now but I know I will have to do it at least one more time. If my neighbors would get busy I wouldn't have to do it so often.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'll do mine next Tuesday. Weatherman is telling us it'll be 14C. Grass is still green and the leaves haven't quite finished falling. Really late this year. A sister 80km. north of me has already blown her snow twice this month. Georgain Bay/Lake Huron lake effect snow.

·
Registered
Theo
6,941 Posts
:grin: Last time I mowed my lawn was in 1984. And not missed doing it even a little bit. :grin:

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts
One thing I would not miss, would be all that raking every Fall.......

We still have green lawn in mid winter.....

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Got no neighbors to compete with. Got no lawn either. Just desert. The rocks don't grow much.

Reactions: harrysin
1 - 20 of 24 Posts