Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a new workshop which should be up & running around March/April and am planning to buy a new lathe. Teknatool products are well supported here in NZ so the choice comes down to which lathe model & the options are their Nova 1624-44 or the new Nova DVR.
Both lathes have the same features as far as swivelling headstock, swing-over bed, distance between centers etc. but the DVR has a variable speed motor while the 1624 is 8 speed manual. I like the idea of touch button speed control but there is a nagging doubt in my mind about the spindle and rotor being one component on the DVR while the 1624 has a conventional outboard motor. What happens if you damage the spindle? Does this mean a complete rotor replacement?
There is also the cost, the DVR around twice the price of the 1624.
Any opinions on the relative merits of the two? :confused:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike, they were my thoughts exactly. I do tend to not change speeds as often as I should e.g. for sanding (laziness!) and I thought the electronic speed control might be a boon but the price is high. I thought I might be missing some other benefit but can't see what.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.