Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be helping my son lay some vinyl plank style tile in a basement bathroom. This is the stuff with a lap style joint system where the top of the tongue has adhesive on it and the underside of the flap on the backside also has adhesive. Seems to me I've read that these can be tricky to get lined up before the adhesive grabs so I'm curious if any members have experience with them and any tricks or suggestions to offer.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I'm going to be helping my son lay some vinyl plank style tile in a basement bathroom. This is the stuff with a lap style joint system where the top of the tongue has adhesive on it and the underside of the flap on the backside also has adhesive. Seems to me I've read that these can be tricky to get lined up before the adhesive grabs so I'm curious if any members have experience with them and any tricks or suggestions to offer.
Nope ,the stuff I laid had snap lock T&G. That sounds scary to me. hope it goes good .

Get a centerline of your room and rip the first and last row,so you don't get a tiny narrow rip at the far side, but you know that, don't mean to tell you how to do it.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Nope ,the stuff I laid had snap lock T&G. That sounds scary to me. hope it goes good .

Get a centerline of your room and rip the first and last row,so you don't get a tiny narrow rip at the far side, but you know that, don't mean to tell you how to do it.

Herb
go ahead and tell him Herb...
it'd be out of character not to...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
While writing that, I thought ,what am I doing, Chuck has been around the block and knows how to lay floors, but some of the other readers might find it a useful tip. :):)

Herb
exactly...
use Chuck as a vessel to get information to those that don't know...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While writing that, I thought ,what am I doing, Chuck has been around the block and knows how to lay floors, but some of the other readers might find it a useful tip. :):)

Herb
Exactly. And a friendly reminder never hurts and should always be appreciated. We had a guy a few years ago that joined asking how to cut T & G on the ends of some flooring boards that came with them. We told him that he shouldn't need to, that the end you cut off is the one you start the next row with. He then admitted that he had lined up all the joints so that the pieces he had cut off couldn't be reused that way and he was going through a lot more flooring than he expected. After I told him you should never do it that way and there really was no good way to recover from it we never heard from him again. All I could think of at the time was, if only he had asked first.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Chuck, I did a floor approx 10 x 18 four or five years ago. It turned out very well and while it was not super easy, it was not that difficult either. After doing the first two or three joints you kind of get the hang of it. Just follow the directions for layout and take your time and it should turn out great!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Wes.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
...knee pads...patience...no foul language...

I hate that stuff...sorry, no other suggestions... :)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
:surprise:Every time I contemplate doing flooring, me knees remind me that 'WE DON"T DO THAT, ANYMORE"!:no::no::no:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
:surprise:Every time I contemplate doing flooring, me knees remind me that 'WE DON"T DO THAT, ANYMORE"!:no::no::no:
what part of ''sub it out'' did you not remember a longtime ago....

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well son didn't have the old flooring off yet so hopefully we'll start by tomorrow afternoon.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
His old floor was glued to the concrete. The new flooring instructions didn't mention underlay I don't think. This type floor floats like laminate does but because it's vinyl it may not need it.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
His old floor was glued to the concrete. The new flooring instructions didn't mention underlay I don't think. This type floor floats like laminate does but because it's vinyl it may not need it.
The one I laid last time was on concrete and they recommended this 1/8" foam underlayment . It acted like a moisture barrier and under layment. That floor floats too.

Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll check and make sure first.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Chuck, we were in HD a few weeks ago looking at the various vinyl type floorings. The one you speak of interested us considerably.

I asked number 1 son (who is in the reno biz and does many floors) and he seemed to think that many of the click together types only have a very small locking section, and that if anything went out of line they would actually come apart.

He has done a couple of the glue together ones, and he says he prefers them. I didn't ask him about any underlay. But I do recall the HD sales person showing us the thin foam underlay...so I guess that is what is recommended.

Maybe give them a quick call first.

Please let us know how you make out with this, perhaps a photo or two.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts