Router Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted photos of this last year when I did the inlay work and now have a video showing what and how the inlay was accomplished.

It's Walnut with African Mahogany and Cherry inlay, French polish finish, and is a test piece for a larger panel I plan to inlay at some point this year.

David

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Nicely done David

Reactions: difalkner

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Nice project and well done. I like inlay projects like this. They are a lot of fun and you can learn a lot about fitting parts cut with a CNC.

Great looking finish, French Polish is a labor of love and can be very satisfying when you see the outcome. It has been several years since I did any French Polish finish so maybe this will push me that way on the next project that deserves the extra time.

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...that deserves the extra time.
It only took 10 minutes, Mike. Do you have another finish you can do in 10 minutes, to where you can handle it and the finish is dry/cured? ;)

David

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
It usually takes me longer to do a French Polish finish but when I stop and think about it the last French polish finish job I did was on an antique pump organ and matching bench that we made a few repairs on and refinished. THAT was when we were in the furniture business many ... many years ago. Loved how it turned out and was glad the customer requested that finish.

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm assuming you did this on a CNC

It is a beautiful piece and the finish is exquisite.
Watch the video, Tom. Part of it is on the CNC, a lot by hand.

And thank you for the compliments - the finish was fun, so glad you like it! :)

David

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Thanks for the video David, it was the first CNC video project that I watched. Good work and great results. I look forward to seeing the non-test piece when completed. BTW your shop looks jam up!

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Great result, David.

·
Registered
265 Posts
great job David. what method did you use to hold the parts in after they were cut? i didn't see tabs, or using the woodchip pack method. guessing you didnt cut all the way through, then resawed them off?

how was the part fit?

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
great job David. what method did you use to hold the parts in after they were cut? i didn't see tabs, or using the woodchip pack method. guessing you didnt cut all the way through, then resawed them off?

how was the part fit?
There are tabs, Tim. And I left a little skin on the bottom side of the leaves and the vines and stems had both tabs and skin (which will become the top because these inlay parts are inverted). Then I ran them through the drum sander until the skin was even thinner and snipped the tabs off with side cutters. On the video you can see the spindle raise up on the tabs in cutting the vines.

David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.