Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
I arrived here while searching for an explanation as to why the fences on routers tables are not consistantly parallel to the front of the table.
I have a miter slot on my new table that I wanted to use as a guide for pushing a work piece through the bit but lining it up with the fence and the bit and the miter guide is quite difficult.
It seems to me that the fence should remain parallel at all times ?
Thanks for any feed back
Garry

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Garry

" consistantly parallel to the front of the table " = not true because it is a single point cutting device the fence can be at any angle unlike a table saw BUT if you use a miter guide it's true that's why most don't use them on the router table..

==

hi
I arrived here while searching for an explanation as to why the fences on routers tables are not consistantly parallel to the front of the table.
I have a miter slot on my new table that I wanted to use as a guide for pushing a work piece through the bit but lining it up with the fence and the bit and the miter guide is quite difficult.
Thanks for any feed back
Garry

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi
Thanks for any feed back
Garry
A table saw has a planar blade and a planar fence so both must be kept in parallel line. A router table has a planar fence, but the circular bit is met tangentially. so the fence does not have to be parallel. See Bill Hylton's Ultimate Guide to the Router Table to see why a miter gauge and slot can produce some bad results

1 - 3 of 3 Posts