Router Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
Charles, Do three Feits make a yard or would it now be a metre?
(I just couldn't resist)
I hope this doesn't led to a discussion on the difference between lumens and candlepower. (I couldn't resist a pun either)

Reactions: thomas1389

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
18,989 Posts
The only thing I am concerned about, but not yet sure about, is the issue of the power converter built into the LED bulb. That was a serious flaw in the curly bulbs, particularly the cheaper ones. The curly bulbs were good far beyond the lifespan of the power converter. We will see how this works out, but I think the fact it is solid state and has no arc to produce light means it is running cooler. That is always good for solid state power supplies.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I like the LED shop lights at Home Depot as you can directly connect them together to form as long a fixture as you need. I plan to use these in my Georgia house shop.
Could you provide a link to the HD fixtures you like? I assume you're referring to the ones identified as "linkable". There are quite a few available from them.

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
I have replaced all the T-8 fluorescent tubes in my shop with these from Hyperikon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S5OA1U2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are less expensive than those I found at the local home improvement store. You have to rewire the fixtures, but that takes about 5 minutes with the enclosed instructions.
That's not a bad deal Chas and they are only slightly more on Amazon Canada https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00S5OA1U2?ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00&redirect=true&psc=1&tag=vs-home-convert-amazon-20&pldnSite=1 It's interesting that they can be run with the T8 ballast and input an extra 4 watts that way or as you say they can be bypassed. The 2200 lumens is fairly bright. I had a chance to check out some led fixtures recently where someone I know was switching out his T8s and the lights were bright and the light quality was excellent. That was all something that was being discussed about the new leds a few years ago when this subject first came up was would they be bright enough but that's not an issue any more. They are as bright or brighter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Some of the Hyperikon tubes can be operated with the ballast in place, if the ballast is a new electronic one, but if it's an old magnetic (black tarred block) one, you will have to remove and rewire.

I really like the LEDs in the winter when the shop gets down near freezing at night. The fluorescents took forever to warm up and emit enough lights. The LEDs just come on at full brightness, regardless of temperature.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Could you provide a link to the HD fixtures you like? I assume you're referring to the ones identified as "linkable". There are quite a few available from them.

@patlaw Mike--here are the linkable fixtures from HD:
Commercial Electric 4 ft. White LED Linkable Shop Light-54103161 - The Home Depot

They come with a 14" linking cord and a butt link connector. The 5' optional cord is up to $7--pretty salty but i'm hanging mine 2' to 3' apart so it's cheaper than more fixtures. (I paid $5 for several of the 5', but i'm out) Instructions say you can link up to 9 fixtures, but I stopped at 6 on one circuit.

earl

21 - 33 of 33 Posts