Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped at Woodcraft a week ago and found a leopard wood board that was 3/4" * 4" by 36", and decided to make a couple tea boxes. Here is a photo of them plus a picture of the board that I was working with. For the tops, bottoms and splines I used tiger maple. The knobs were turned from a pieces of quarter-sawn, spalted red oak.

I used my usual finish of Zar oil-base polyurethane and mineral spirits. I have since taking a piece where of resewed the board and experimented with different finishes. I tried the Zar finish, teak-oil from Woodcraft, and a mixture of 1/3 each of Zar, boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. The one with the boiled linseed oil I think produced the best finish. If I ever make anything else from that wood that will be my finish. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Really nice job.
By chance I was looking at leopardwood just a minute ago.
Was looking through some burls, and figured I would look at a few woods with good figure. over at hearne woods.
If I get leopardwood, will get it at wall lumber, at least 20 bd ft of it. But really want some burls to have in stock..

Anyway, again. Great job. They look great.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
So, Malcolm, you're the one who made off with that board. I was there a couple of weekends ago and saw it. I decided a few days ago to stop by and get it. But you beat me to the punch.
Those are great looking boxes! When you tested with the boiled linseed oil, did you put only that on the board?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Had the code incorrect for getting 10% off at Bell Forest Products. The code is FALL19
Malcolm / Kentucky USA
Thanks, Malcolm. I hadn't heard of Bell Forest and just looked at their site. They have a huge selection, and the prices are pretty good.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I find bell forest to expensive.

Places for same stuff, but at better prices are the 2 I mentioned.
Here is a link to hearne, that have a huge assortment of burl, as well veneers. BURL LINK
And lumber list (please look at what type of figure you want, heavy, none, etc..) Link here
And if leopardwood, also called lacewood at Wall, 20 bd ft, 4/4 105.00 and that's shipped price. LINK HERE

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quality job Malcolm,as usual they look beautiful.

James jj777746

1 - 12 of 12 Posts