Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here.. have made some (10-20) nice wooden home signs for friends as gifts, one for ourselves, and an actual paid project once :)
I KNOW there must be an easier way that free hand or tracing the letters you want, onto the wood. I dont really think a pantograph is what I am looking for.
Is there some way besides a computerized router, to easily place the letters you want onto the wood, so you can cut them out ( or around them?)
I go to a craft fair every year,, and a man sells wooden signs from a small truck. He must sell hundreds a day. They are not made instantly, you come back in less than an hour though and the sign is complete, stained,, whole 9 yards. HOW does he possibly set the lettering onto the wood to cut it so FAST!!?? does not look like he has anything special .
Is there some simple trick that I am missing??
I thank you all.......Moe

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi moe

You can pickup a desktop projector at a good price at a Good Will store that can projector the image on the wood you want to use for the sign....mark the wood then free hand with the router ..

Then when your done with the wood project you can use it for a wall projector :) see video below...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y4Sm3b1NLo

==========

moe said:
Hi, I am new here.. have made some (10-20) nice wooden home signs for friends as gifts, one for ourselves, and an actual paid project once :)
I KNOW there must be an easier way that free hand or tracing the letters you want, onto the wood. I dont really think a pantograph is what I am looking for.
Is there some way besides a computerized router, to easily place the letters you want onto the wood, so you can cut them out ( or around them?)
I go to a craft fair every year,, and a man sells wooden signs from a small truck. He must sell hundreds a day. They are not made instantly, you come back in less than an hour though and the sign is complete, stained,, whole 9 yards. HOW does he possibly set the lettering onto the wood to cut it so FAST!!?? does not look like he has anything special .

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
I wonder if he isn't simply printing off the font and words etc. and then gluing it to the board and routing it out over it. Turnlock Signcrafter will work but it's basically one style of letter.

Corey

·
Registered
902 Posts
The only idea I can come up with is a small CNC machine. If he is only making signs then this would be an efficient way to go. Admitted there would be a considerable outlay for the machine but you would recoup that back in sales in no time. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Well, as we can all see, there are many solutions to the question. :)

I'm not trying to dissuade against using a projector but I think Corey has come up with the best solution. But, you CAN do the same thing with a projector. :)
I wonder if he isn't simply printing off the font and words etc. and then gluing it to the board and routing it out over it. Turnlock Signcrafter will work but it's basically one style of letter.

Corey
Moe, I've seen guys & gals make signs right in front of you, doing them "free-style". They only do a "rough-in" hand lettering, (drawing), to give them the idea of what letters and what shape they want them to be. This is easy for them to do because, they've done it enough it's second nature (sorta say). Perhaps this isn't the best answer you wanted but, it's the best I give at the moment. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Lettering signs

moe said:
When I lettered the signs I have made, I type the font on my computer using MS Word or another program. I then trace it onto the wood using graphite paper(not carbon paper) which you can never erase fully.

Gary

http://www.routerforums.com/attachments/portable-routing/8708-harry-needs-help-rotherys.jpg

·
Registered
595 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
rmaxa said:
Gary, do you use a router or carve the letters. I like you sign very much. :)
Hi Rolf. That sign you see on my post was done on maple with a woodburning tool. When I want to make a large carved sign, I use my Sears templates for sign carving with my router. When I want to make small carved signs I use my Dremel MotoTool with the router attachment.

Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
letters

WOW,,,thanks for all the replies......the forums wouldnt let me sign back in to give an reply myself ,,,said i wasnt registered, when I tried to re-register, said I was already a member ahhhhh :)...anyway, i finally got back in.
YES.,,,this looks like a possibility, but is it just one letter design? This guy has about 10 lettering choices, I am sure it is not free-hand. I am going to take a pic of a sign he did and show you how exact it is.
He does the signs so quickly, I do not think he uses a projector, but that is a good idea anyway.
I love to make signs,, and have so many people interested,,, I know there must be an easier way than my own tracing paper method,, and you guys sure gave me a lot of possibilities.. thanks so much ... and if i can find out any more myself, will post. have a good one , and keep the possibilities coming. have a good one Moe :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
moe said:
WOW,,,thanks for all the replies......the forums wouldnt let me sign back in to give an reply myself ,,,said i wasnt registered, when I tried to re-register, said I was already a member ahhhhh :)...anyway, i finally got back in.
YES.,,,this looks like a possibility, but is it just one letter design? This guy has about 10 lettering choices, I am sure it is not free-hand. I am going to take a pic of a sign he did and show you how exact it is.
He does the signs so quickly, I do not think he uses a projector, but that is a good idea anyway.
I love to make signs,, and have so many people interested,,, I know there must be an easier way than my own tracing paper method,, and you guys sure gave me a lot of possibilities.. thanks so much ... and if i can find out any more myself, will post. have a good one , and keep the possibilities coming. have a good one Moe :cool:
Be sure you have the "remember me" checked when you log-in. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am in a simalir bot. Need to make a sign for a club. Problem, the kits that rockler and others have are limited to size and style. For me, I am going to take some letters off the pc, paste them to some 1/4" mdf and cut them out useing a scroll saw. This will give you a template for the letters and then you cans stick them on the sign as needed. Then use your router to cut the letters/ sysbols.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I need lettering for signs, I print from word whatever size and font I need onto paper. I cover the wood with a layer of masking tape and glue the font to the tape. It will peal off easily when done. I learned that from one of these forums.

(I actually use Fedex sticky shipping labels when I have some extra-they print right off the printer)

I usually cut out with the scroll saw and then attach to the board. but it will work for the router too.

My money is on the sign guy using a compu-carve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i made this with the craftsman pantograph if you use setup they give you the directions for in the manual it works pretty well. this is the first sign i made with it. I just did the outlines of the letters as opposed to routing out the whole letter, then sprayed with black paint. and used a plane, I think it would have been better to use a sander which I am going to try has you can see there is still black where it shouldnt be. This is a sign I made for my dogs house

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts