Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through some of my father's old photos and found this one of a broken down Greyhound bus along the "highway" between Indio and Blythe, California. If you look closely you can see the bus's destination is El Paso. I'm thinking that was one long rough ride. The photo was taken in July 1936.

As much as I prefer old highways to the Interstate, this photo reinforces what a could idea the Interstate system was.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Brings back memories, break-downs were a regular occurrence in those days. If it wasn't blowouts, flat tire, or radiators boiling over, it might be blown head gaskets or burned out clutch. The cars of today wouldn't have held together on those old roads.

Thanks for the trip down Memory lane, Oliver.

Herb

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Eisenhower led a cross country convoy in the 30's. That photo was what he saw. After seeing Hitlers autobahn Eisenhower pushed through the Interstate system. Some of the highway specs had military purposes. They bridge load specs were r two abreast column of tanks. Every state had to have at least one mile straight roadway for use as a landing strip.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Ike's interstates were to move war materiel in case the Russians invaded us. My aunt, uncle and cousin went from eastern Ohio to Miami in the early 50s. Uncle got two weeks vacation and took all of it at once. Three days of solid driving down and three days back- six days of nothing but driving. When I was in California several years ago, there were water hydrants spaced along the road going up the mountains from the old days so people could fill their radiators. Ah, the good ol' days that no one wants back!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Ike's interstates were to move war materiel in case the Russians invaded us. My aunt, uncle and cousin went from eastern Ohio to Miami in the early 50s. Uncle got two weeks vacation and took all of it at once. Three days of solid driving down and three days back- six days of nothing but driving. When I was in California several years ago, there were water hydrants spaced along the road going up the mountains from the old days so people could fill their radiators. Ah, the good ol' days that no one wants back!
I kinda liked the fifties. Of coarse I was only 8 years old. One of the best things I like about modern times is this computer I am on. A person can learn a lot from it. But then there is the shape our country is in and going to be in if we don't find a way to fix it. In the fifties I hadn't heard of pot "can you believe that". There was not so many people and life was more simple and easier to live.

I guess I wish we could have the best of both times. That ain't going to happen. :laugh2:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
how about that....
it's still 1938 around here....

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Brings back memories, break-downs were a regular occurrence in those days. If it wasn't blowouts, flat tire, or radiators boiling over, it might be blown head gaskets or burned out clutch. The cars of today wouldn't have held together on those old roads.

Thanks for the trip down Memory lane, Oliver.

Herb
Herb looking at the photo it looks like the engine cover is open so it may well have been running hot. N

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
The good old days were not always so good for adults. Kids? Didn't matter much about highways, car breakdowns and such. Life surely was simpler, but not necessarily better. I went to my old high school a few years ago, and what they had in resources was astonishing. No bird houses in shop, but they now build bathroom and other house sections and learn a trade. They nad a TV studio, editing bays and even an CGI animation classroom so students graduated certified in Final Cut, the industry standard editing software.

Home Ec? No more cookies and aprons, you came out of HS with a food handling certificate, and went right into the community college's chef program. The ambitious kids come at life the same way today as they did back then, and the lazy ones and those who had problems do the same.

Everything is different, but the same. Give me modern cars over the clutch burning models I grew up with. Engines easily go for 150,000 miles these days, but I remember having to get major service, or an overhaul at 60 K. I work with young doctors a lot, and I'll tell you what they lack in old fashioned bedside manner, they more than make up for in using modern medicine.

As that pictures states clearly, we have it better in many ways these days.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In some web searches if you look for the most remote town in the lower 48, they will list our town of Dubois Wyoming. Now we have found out what the criteria was for this distinction, it had to do with how far the town was from a interstate. The closest interstate is I25 in Casper, WY and it's a little over 200 miles and I80 is I think 240 miles and I90 is over 260 miles.

CAD-Man

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
The good ole days weren't near as good as we remember them but remember some day these will be someone's good old days.

Reactions: jw2170

·
Registered
235 Posts
@CAD-Man

looked it up on google earth, appears to be a peaceful area. No doubt the weather extremes can be tough out there.

Enjoy.
It's a great place to live, things are a little rough for the town these days, a lot of uneployment around the area. Coal mines are shutting down and a lot of the oil workers are home and also unemployed. It has an effect on the local business, I'm laid off myself from the hardware store because nobody is buying anything. But summer is around the corner and tourist season begins. The town draws a lot of money from tourism, we are considered the east entrance to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. I still wouldn't trade it for the world I am very happy with my decision to live here.

CAD-Man

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
@CAD-Man

Sorry to hear about the down turn and lay offs but as you say summer is around the corner and I've always believed that as long as one enjoys their environs then life is far easier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts