Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone in here would be able to help me. I have a modified x-carve with a different controller. So I am working on setting up my limit and home switches for my cnc. I would also like to utilize a touch plate to zero out my Z. My initial thought is to use the DB9 on the picture below. with P1, P2, and P3 being the limits and the homes. My question is can I use P4 for my touch plate? This will all be configured in Mach3. Or should I be using the DB25 pins for all of it or part of it? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The DB25 is actually used for my connection to the computer so it would have to be utilized on the DB9 if its possible. Not sure though for the touch plate.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yes, you can use any of the pins on the DB9, P1 through P5.
Looks like they are wired directly to pins 10-13 & 15 on the DB25.

·
Registered
Mike
3,842 Posts
looks like definitions on the DB9 differ from the definitions on the DB25 so make sure in Mach3 you are using the correct pin settings on how you hook everything up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am actually contemplating spending a little bit of money and getting a different breakout board as well as drivers for the steppers and going that route. This would work for now but if I'm just putting this all together and setting it up in Mach3 thinking I am better off setting it up differently one time and being done. Pictures for what I am looking at below. Would have 4 of the drivers for each motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,842 Posts
I'm not sure what your original board had but if you use it just make sure you set up the ports and pins correctly in Mach 3 and it should work.

If you do go with the new board you will have the ability to have dual Y-axis if your hardware supports that and still have an open input for a rotary A axis.

Remember this is a Parallel port board and the USB jack is used for a 5v power supply from your computer. This board should have inputs for limits and touch plate use. Again make sure you set up ports and pins in Mach3 correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure what your original board had but if you use it just make sure you set up the ports and pins correctly in Mach 3 and it should work.

If you do go with the new board you will have the ability to have dual Y-axis if your hardware supports that and still have an open input for a rotary A axis.

Remember this is a Parallel port board and the USB jack is used for a 5v power supply from your computer. This board should have inputs for limits and touch plate use. Again make sure you set up ports and pins in Mach3 correctly.
Thank you for the replies. Yup I figured out the usb power supply for the card. But yes this is also a parallel port but I am fine with that. I will double check everything in Mach3 and make sure I have it set properly. Plan on adding the Home/limit switches for all the axis and then the touch plate for the zero. Thanks again.

·
Registered
602 Posts
That breakout board also requires a separate 24V power supply for the inputs to work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts