Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1/4 round Ovolo router bit with a guide bearing and I've lined it up with the split fence to get the correct cut. I want to remove the guide bearing I've Googled but can't find any information on how to line up a router bit minus the guide bearing, with the split fence?
Thanks.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
set the fence to the bearing...
remove the bearing...
reset the fence to your requirements using test cuts and micro adjustments......

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
set the fence to the bearing...
remove the bearing...
reset the fence to your requirements using test cuts and micro adjustments......
Hi,
I've been watching this post, as there have been no other replies. Then your method must be the accepted way of doing it.
Thanks for replying.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
My question to you is why do you need to remove the guide bearing?

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
What I would do is take off the bearing, line up the fence so that it is on center of the bit both ends. Then move the fence forward 1/2 the diam. of the bearing using the tape settings on the fence readout. Then do a test cut and adjust from there.

Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I don't know if this will help but when I set a bullnose or other concave profile I use a dowel with equal or smaller diameter curve than the one on the bit. When the dowel sits on both faces and touches the bit you're within thousandths. Most ovolo bits don't have a bearing unless it's on the bit shank.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
If cutting deep, like it sounds like you will be doing, be sure to do it in several passes with the last being just a final light cut.

I once needed to make raised panels for exterior shutters and could not buy a bit that would leave a wide enough tenon along the edges of the panel, because a molding needed to surround the panel and both needed to fit into the dado. I ended up not only removing the bearing from the stock bit, but also grinding off the pin that the bearing had been attached to. This modification allowed me to make the raised panels the way that I needed to, but there was no way to re-install the bearing. The fence position is now the only way to set the cutting depth with that bit. I hated modifying this $100 bit, but the job justified it, and covered the cost of the bit.

Charley

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Although the tool I showed earlier is a must have for "inventive" routing, what you want to do cant be done. When you remove the bearing from the top, there is a bush sticking up that the bearing slips over. you cannot cut any deeper than the edge of the top of the blade on the bearing guided bit.
As youre UK based, search through the online catalogues of Trend, wealdon, or infinity UK to find the bit you want. Or, phone your nearest axminster shop and ask. They are all very obliging and used to dealing with "odd" customers (dont ask me how i know this).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.