Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
One blog I read had several people saying not to hone the back of the blade, that even a few thousandths could affect the cut so I would just go with the very small back bevel and leave the rest of the back alone and see how that cuts.
Correct, Charles...the back of the blade is not to be touched. The knives are sharpened at the bevel side with a micro-bevel.

My Lion has explicit instructions not to touch the back of the blade as it rides against the frame to create a scissor effect.

If the back were to be sanded in any way, it would alter the adjustment between the blade and the frame and would not cut properly...

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Does anyone know the original grind on Lion Trimmer knives?
Hollow grind?
Flat Grind?
Back Bevel?
something else or combination of something?
Or has experience taught you a better grind?

I obtained a Lion trimmer & someone did a botched (in my opinion) resharpening job. So I'm planning to send it out for resharpening & would like to tell the service what grind to put on it? They have agreed to put on whatever I want so I figured that the factory/manufacturer would know best.

Doing it myself for the initial tuneup is probably out of my wheelhouse.

thks

smitty

Flat grind with a small micro-bevel...don't know the related angles...

Keep in mind the piece should be cut with the visible/exterior face up...this will ensure the smoothest cut faces out as a result of the scissor action of the blade. Don't attempt to cut a large amount...just a few thousands at a time...this will leave an unbelievably finished cut on the cross-grain side...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.