Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Group,

After my heart attack forced retirement 2 1/2 years ago I got more seriously into woodworking. Later I decided to specialize by making little occasional boxes. I like to play with different woods: ash, oak, utili, yew, wenge, chestnut, black walnut, sycamore, purpleheart. I design on the fly and don't really plan any box, which means that one step forward two steps back isn't uncommon. I have come to prefer oil finishes. I line the interiors with velvet or suede. I have also included a pic of my little shop inside a steel shed. I have found that after the first inch or so accumulates, the sawdust doesn't get any more noticeable!

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi FoggyTown

VeryNice job on the boxes :)
Like you I enjoy making boxes, out of all the items I make boxes are the most enjoyable for me :).
Plus you can make them without breaking the bank for the great woods. It seems like when I get a new tool and it doesn't come in a great box/case I make one for it.

Have a good weekend
Bj :)

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Now Foggytown, you got my attention with these pictures. I love boxes and really need to make my first attempt and get started on the learning curve. I think they make such a neat gift items and the design possibilities are endless.

You do good work and I like your shop too. Looking forward to seein more.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for the kind comments. Although I had made items of small furniture and cabinetry, I migrated towards making boxes for a number of reasons. The scale suits my modest workspace. Because not much material is required for any one project, the cost is kept low so even exotic woods can be used. Design possibilities are limitless. Errors are usually easily corrected or compensated for - or incorporated into new "design features". Construction time is minimal. (I figure 8 - 10 hours per box.) A nice mixture of hand and power tools is required. (I think that one essential tool is the belt/disc sander like pic attached. It allows for so many processes - even accurate mitred corners.) My box and finger joints are made on my table router.

I have set up a small gallery for any who would like to see other boxes I have made. Go to http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l317/foggytown

(I also have a crude website where I am setting myself up to possibly sell boxes to order but it is commercial and therefore not appropriate for this forum.)

I will gladly share any of my experience with anyone who wants advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
Beautiful work foggytown. I specially like the stringing and inlay work. You're right about not noticing the sawdust - until your head starts to touch the roof that is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Beautilful boxes. I am making some cutting boards, and there is a lot of enjoyment from making something small, and using some different woods. My current one is curly maple, walnut, oak, and purple heart. Will post a picture in a few days.

Also, I vow not to complain about my 300 sq. ft. shop, for awhile at least. You definitely have every square foot of your shed packed!

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Nice work on those boxes. I enjoy making boxes myself. I like the design opportunities and like BJ said the chance to work with some different woods that would cost a fortune on traditional furniture projects. Thanks for posting and looking forward to more!

Corey

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Very nice boxes Foggtown, I really have some added competition now. I too prefer oil finishes particularly Danish Oil but must confess that when I'm in a hurry I tend to spray lacquer. We also have in common our opinion of the disc sander, I have corrected many mitres that went slightly off! How about photo shoots in the future so that we can all share you're "secrets"

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Checked out your photo bucket pics..... some very nice boxes... liked them all and the various techniques you use. They all stood out especially #12.

I too have a small shop and hope one day I can produce the quality that comes from yours

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.