Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know "live edge" things have been done before but this is my first attempt to do any.
I brought a 48" long and 6" thick Walnut slab from a guy on craigslist and rather than using my draw knife
to get rid of the bark I thought it would be fun to make use of it for a picture frame. I finished the
frame with 3 coats of spray shellac to go into the crevices of the bark. The bark turned from grey to brown
once I applied the finish.
Those pictured are my son, daughter-in-law and my 6 year old triplet grandsons.
Wood Lumber Hardwood Plywood Table

Picture frame Room Rectangle Shelf Wood

Picture frame Wall Room Wood Rectangle

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,252 Posts
That's a beautiful and creative frame, Randy.

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
Randy that was a great use for the slab. A perfect place to display those pictures.

Three at one time is probably more than I could handle at one time if they are anything like my oldest great-granddaughter.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,358 Posts
That looks wonderful, Randy! And like has been said, the way you utilized the shape of the wood near the miters is well thought out and executed. Yes, a great looking crew, as well!

David

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It's been well said, this was the perfect use of that slab. You have a great eye for detail and a creative mind. Doesn't hurt to have a great subject to frame either. What I've never understood is how to work the rest of the wood while protecting the bark. I'm guessing the slab was resawn on a bandsaw and those were jointed on one side before the run through the planer. Then I would expect sanding after the miter cuts were made before assembly and finishing. How does the bark survive all those processes? You can probably tell I've never worked with a live edge slab before. I've cut down plenty of trees but green wood versus kiln dried (assuming kiln dried here) I'm guessing the dried wood has more "tender" bark (brittle)? Or maybe a better way to ask this is how much bark did you loose in the process of making the beautiful frame?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I generally don't care much for live edge stuff, but this is a very creative and well made exception. Really beautiful! Were you able to reinforce the mitered corners?
yes. The wood was 3/4" thick when done milling down to size and I put in #10 biscuits in each corner.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's been well said, this was the perfect use of that slab. You have a great eye for detail and a creative mind. Doesn't hurt to have a great subject to frame either. What I've never understood is how to work the rest of the wood while protecting the bark. I'm guessing the slab was resawn on a bandsaw and those were jointed on one side before the run through the planer. Then I would expect sanding after the miter cuts were made before assembly and finishing. How does the bark survive all those processes? You can probably tell I've never worked with a live edge slab before. I've cut down plenty of trees but green wood versus kiln dried (assuming kiln dried here) I'm guessing the dried wood has more "tender" bark (brittle)? Or maybe a better way to ask this is how much bark did you loose in the process of making the beautiful frame?
YES - absolutely and throughout the whole project pieces of bark where chipping off and had me worried this was even going to work. I had this piece of walnut for 2 years so it was really dry(I don't yet have a moisture meter). I first used the bandsaw and then ran over the jointer to get a flat side then back to the bandsaw to slice into approx 1" pieces then thru the planer to get it down to "3/4" final thickness. Then it was over to the miter saw to cut my 45's and then the biscuit joiner to reinforce the corners.
In the end it was too time complicated and I might not do another one... but there is a 2" thick piece of pecan sitting over in the corner of my shop that has it bark on it.. hmmm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.