Router Forums banner

Live Edge Waterfall Stool with through tusk tenon

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  WI1L 
#1 ·
It may have turned into an end table but it did start out as a stool for putting on your shoes in my mind. I had one live edge big leaf maple plank left from my bigger bench project(a work in progress) and decided to make a Xmas present for my in laws. I have always wanted to try out a waterfall miter and a tusk tenon so I put them both in. I almost added a dovetail joint as well but fortunately I came to my senses.

Working with live edge was a great experience. You don't realize how much you depend on those 6 square and true edges till you don't have them. The miter was reinforced with dominos as was the stretcher and leg. Kind of felt like I was cheating using the domino but I used my limited Xmas time frame as an excuse. My bench is going to be all old school.

The tusk tenon was quite easy after I found a great article in FWW. The stool is actually stable in spite of the wonky shaped legs. Finished it with 6 coats of shellac then steel wool and wax.

Jamie

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Was in such a hurry I didn't take very many in progress pictures. Here are a few. The miter joint was reinforced with 5 by 30 mm dominos which I had to cut short. The stretcher was held with a 8 mm by 50 mm domino. I was going to do a through wedged tenon but decided I didn't want to break up the waterfall look on that end.

This stool was made from the left overs of my two maple planks. The best part of the planks was used for a bench seat. Hoping to finish my bench in January. I included pictures of the original planks and the finished bench seat.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.