Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father filled in time at the end of WW2 while waiting for a troop ship home. It was cast on the beach at Wewak, New Guinea. Made from the Joyce Stick of a Japanese zero. The towns on the map are made from tooth brush handles.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that is impressive...

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Plus 1 on the above posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
One of my favorite planes of all time.

And a very interesting story. I never knew what is often called a joystick is also referred to as a "Joyce Stick," after a Joyce that may have invented it. An original Zero joystick would be quite valuable today.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Harold; fantastic piece of History! Treasure it.
You should probably type up a short piece describing it's origin, and keep it with the statuette. After you're gone the context will go with you.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
That was my favorite fighter plane when I was young. My brother and I used to lay on our backs in the pasture in the summer time and watch them practice dog fighting overhead for hours.

Herb

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan
I have done that an made a small display case and passed it onto a nephew when the old fella died in 2003 . It went to this particular nephew because he will cherish it. It was a toss up between passing it onto him or giving it to the War Museum in Canberra.
A little more on the plane there is still sand stuck in the metal at the back where he never got to finish polishing it. The top side and the plane were hand polished to finish with jewelers polishing paste.

Reactions: jw2170 and DaninVan

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts
great memento of a great man and bad times....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts