Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine a year and a half ago was camping by this lake with his buddies. A big wind came up abruptly as they were standing around the fire trading great adventures. Suddenly a cedar tree blew over and pinned three of them to the ground. The others rushed to cut the out to rescue them.

My friend was the only one seriously hurt. he had a broken right leg and a smashed ankle. To make the story short, after much surgery and therapy he was able to sort of walk and he fell again and re-broke his ankle. They re-did the surgery on his ankle and and it was healing fine and he had a stroke. He is only 53yo and had some brain damage along with some paralysis of his left side.

While recuperating his buddies would come to visit and one day one of them brought him a piece of fire wood from the tree. He then later asked me to make him something from the block of wood for a remembrance of the experience. So here is what I made.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that is SWEET!!!

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Gee Herb. That is really original. Oddly enough, I had a dream about converting a log into a box a couple of nights ago. Do you think the bark will stay on? I have a number of large diameter logs as yard decor, and the bark has come off all of them.

·
Official Greeter
19,109 Posts
Great result, Herb. Your friend should really appreciate the end result.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gee Herb. That is really original. Oddly enough, I had a dream about converting a log into a box a couple of nights ago. Do you think the bark will stay on? I have a number of large diameter logs as yard decor, and the bark has come off all of them.
Tom this log was soaking wet when I cut the slabs off. I put it in the shop before Christmas to dry, after I did that. Just last week I started to make the box, and the bark slipped off. I cleaned up all the ;loose stuff next to the wood and sloshed on the TB II and then put the bark back on and clamped it down. Seems to be holding good.
Herb

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
WOW!!! That looks amazing Herb. That gives me a few ideas for a project I have. My original idea was nothing this nice.

Hope this helps bring your friend some piece of mind with all that he has and is going through!

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Just dawned on me that the hinges and latch seem to be made of wood. Did you make those too? Somehow I don't think you can find hardware with the perfect curve like that. How about a close up of the hinges and latch?

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
That's really creative and well done, Herb. Your skills are impressive.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
That would be one log I would never split for firewood...BEAUTIFUL...! ! !

...love how you solved the loose bark issue...gotta remember that one...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts