Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure every one of you all have gotten splinters from a project. Have you ever gotten some so deep they took months to work to the surface?

Back in July I was running my router across the ribs of my torsion box table during the making of it, and as the router exited one dado, somehow it slung wood fibers upward at my face. I felt the sting and recognized then that it felt sharper than it normally does when this happens around my hands. I figured it was because of hitting me in a softer spot.

Well, it's now November and I am still occasionally getting a splinter to surface and come out of my face. This has happened at least five times from July until just yeaterday, and all in the same 2 inch square spot. I had safety glasses on when it first happened. Now I'm wondering if a full face shield might be necessary, or if this was just a freak thing. My face was nowhere near the router when it slung splinters at me. I was working at bench top height and standing up, although slightly bent forward. The dust collection on this router, a DeWalt DW618, is not particularly good, but it does catch at least half of the debris. Somehow the straight bit had to have slung splinters upwards, through the opening in the plastic housing at the top, while overcoming the vacuum suction, in order to have hit me.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
brittle wood demands a face shield...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I've never had it happen with a router but I have had it happen with a chainsaw.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I do a little turning and wear a full face shield. Recently I been wearing it more and more for other things as well. I am scheduled to have cataract surgery soon and when I can get back in the shop I am considering wearing it full time when using any power tool. Accidents happen very quickly usually when we least expect them.

Good luck with the splinters, Duane.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I had a large splinter from a pallet. Didn't know I had it as my hand was sore for two days but didn't know it was a splinter until later. I finally applied pressure on the area and a splinter about 1-1/2 inches long came out. If you have a splinter and know it, see a doctor to prevent infection and something worse.

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts
I never had an incident but I always used a full face sheild up until now . The sheild won't stay closed over my dust mask so I went to safety glasses with reading glasses in the bottom of them .
Now you have to me concerned though

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
many years ago now, i had a lump on my right hand third finger, middle section. One of those things that just appear. It was quite big, but not painful. I shot Target pistol in those days, and had a custom wooden grip made to fit my hand. the lump had to be incorporated into the grip it was so prominent.
So, move forward about 5 years, and I was working one day and noticed I had blood on my hand. A closer look showed the lump was bleeding. I saw something glinting in there and grabbed it with my nails and pulled.
A piece of glass came out, almost a half inch long and an eighth wide!. I was totally gobsmacked. I dont know where it came from, and have no idea how many years that had been in there, but it had to be more than 8, purely because of the age of the custom grip. Never once had I any pain from it.
The wound healed, the lump totally disappeared, and I had to fill the hole in the grip with some fimo.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
This is a great example of why safety equipment is so important! Most people have the thought process that "it'll never happen to me". I could give dozens of examples that are similar to Duane's as to how it will.

Just a reminder, folks! Face shields are only secondary protection. You should always wear primary eye protection underneath. I know that it is uncomfortable to do so at times, but it is necessary.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
many years ago now, i had a lump on my right hand third finger, middle section. One of those things that just appear. It was quite big, but not painful. I shot Target pistol in those days, and had a custom wooden grip made to fit my hand. the lump had to be incorporated into the grip it was so prominent.
So, move forward about 5 years, and I was working one day and noticed I had blood on my hand. A closer look showed the lump was bleeding. I saw something glinting in there and grabbed it with my nails and pulled.
A piece of glass came out, almost a half inch long and an eighth wide!. I was totally gobsmacked. I dont know where it came from, and have no idea how many years that had been in there, but it had to be more than 8, purely because of the age of the custom grip. Never once had I any pain from it.
The wound healed, the lump totally disappeared, and I had to fill the hole in the grip with some fimo.
I had a similar experience. About 5 years ago a lump began growing on the inside of my right thumb, right where I grip tools. It got as large as a marble, and caused me to alter how I handled tools and other things. I had it removed last summer. I actually thought it was caused by a callus forming since I worked with my hands daily, but my doctor said it was most likely a wood splinter or metal sliver encased by flesh. Never did know what caused it for sure. After five years of not being able to grip things normally, using tools differently by squeezing hand grips with the tip of my thumb, driving and steering the vehicle being awkward (for this I had developed a 4 fingered grip on the wheel with my thumb just sticking out), I had to relearn to hold things again. Didn't take long though. It was uncomfortable trying to grip with the lump there, and not easy to do it in the modified manner I had developed. Now its all good again.

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts
Crazy story Bob . I was a passenger in a car accident and had splinters of glass come out of my face for the first few years . When I caught them as I was shaving I sure jumped lol

·
Registered
813 Posts
Projectile accidents happen more than one would think. When I was in high school (100 years ago) I drove for a blind insurance salesman. He had been blinded in a hunting accident by shot gun pellets. Took him to the dentist one day and a pellet came out of his gums. That was 30 years after the accident. The face shield is best but when turning mine fogs up so I tend to use safety glasses. I would love to have one of those shields that pulls air in from the back but those suckers are real pricey.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I turn a lot of pens on my lathe, I use dear antlers an they have been known to fly apart at times. So I spent the money and invested in a Trend Air Shield Pro, expensive, yes but so is my eye sight and my pretty 64 year old face. The air moving across the face keeps it clear no fog, it's a little noisey but I wheat ear plugs anyway.

CAD-Man

·
Registered
Paul
1,856 Posts
Glass slivers are the worst because they don't fester, so you usually just callous around them. I got them frequently when working with neon tubes. It sounds like yours are coming out though, Duane. I should get a face shield too.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Projectile accidents happen more than one would think. When I was in high school (100 years ago) I drove for a blind insurance salesman. He had been blinded in a hunting accident by shot gun pellets. Took him to the dentist one day and a pellet came out of his gums. That was 30 years after the accident. The face shield is best but when turning mine fogs up so I tend to use safety glasses. I would love to have one of those shields that pulls air in from the back but those suckers are real pricey.
When I was helping my buddy saw and stack his slabs for drying, he was wearing what he said was a pair of ski goggles over his glasses - said they worked really well as his glasses didn't fog up and were also very comfortable because of the padding. I'll ask him for more info the next time I talk to him

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Around 1979, I owned a couple of construction companies. One day "out on the yard" at our office, I spotted one of my backhoe operators using a pneumatic grinder to work on one of the teeth of the backhoe's bucket. I noticed he was not wearing eye protection, so I stopped him and yelled at him and told him how stupid he was. I'll never forget his reply..."Otis, now dog-gone-it! You already know that I'm blind in one eye! What do you reckon are the odds that my other eye will get put-out?"

My reply was, "Roy - those are exactly the same odds that you will become unemployed and need to get yourself a real smart dog - if something bad happens!"

I walked away. A few minutes later, he was wearing eye protection. I never saw him working again without eye protection. I sincerely believe he really had never realized that he was taking a very dangerous chance. Still to this day, I observe people using weedeaters, chainsaws and blowers without eye protection!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts
Around 1979, I owned a couple of construction companies. One day "out on the yard" at our office, I spotted one of my backhoe operators using a pneumatic grinder to work on one of the teeth of the backhoe's bucket. I noticed he was not wearing eye protection, so I stopped him and yelled at him and told him how stupid he was. I'll never forget his reply..."Otis, now dog-gone-it! You already know that I'm blind in one eye! What do you reckon are the odds that my other eye will get put-out?"

My reply was, "Roy - those are exactly the same odds that you will become unemployed and need to get yourself a real smart dog - if something bad happens!"

I walked away. A few minutes later, he was wearing eye protection. I never saw him working again without eye protection. I sincerely believe he really had never realized that he was taking a very dangerous chance. Still to this day, I observe people using weedeaters, chainsaws and blowers without eye protection!

Love your come back lol .

I knew a guy who did volunteer work for our local Legion . Well Tony was whipper snipping the grass when a rock hit him in the face and bounced behind his glasses and hit him in the middle of his eye .
It caused a bruise to the eye that damaged his retina . He was permanently blinded in that eye and it always made me more aware

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Rick, you have just added to my vocabulary: whipper-snipping. The original weed eater is a goat! <ha-ha>

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts
Always was "Whipper-Snipper" in OZ.

Weed Whacker in US???

I did the same one day, but with a very small piece of grass stem. Came up behind my glasses and hit the pupil. Went to the quack....put in some drops....very sore for a few days, but now OK.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts