Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have built a router table around my Triton MFO01 router, and have started to use it.

I discovered that the crank handle for the built-in lift mechanism isn't long enough to clear the fence when using a tall (long) bit. I discovered the problem when I was routing a T-slot. I used a 1/4" bit to cut the slot, and came back with the T cutter. I did not want to move the fence for obvious reasons.

When the bit requires that the router be lowered very much, the fence interferes with the crank handle rotation.

I tried making a new one from wood, but by the time I drilled out the 7/16" dowel to accept the centering pin on the router body, the wood was so thin that it broke on first use.

Suggestions? Triton does not offer a longer crank that I can fine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
A Fellow Woodworker utilizes a socket wrench handle and a long extension holding the allen screw when raising or lowering the router.

Not sure of how the Triton is set up, but it might work.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
''T'' handle Allen wrench???

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
A Fellow Woodworker utilizes a socket wrench handle and a long extension holding the allen screw when raising or lowering the router.

Not sure of how the Triton is set up, but it might work.
Sounds like a craftsman router I have one that works that way.

For the Triton, 1) remove the crank handle. 2) Drill hole in the end of a block of 5/4 X 5/4X8". 3) Insert Triton crank

Mine hangs from magnetic bar so I also attached a washer. I made from 5/4 so it was grippable

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would use a length of alloy tube the same as the original and fit a handle onto the top. You could then make it as long as you like.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
add one of these to your Allen shank..

or one of these w/ a ¼'' drive ratchet.......

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Triton routers use a shaft about 1/8" dia with a pin through it. The stock wrench has a hole in the center with a slot across it.

I think Paduke's suggestion is going to be best. I'll look at taking the crank off the end of the shaft.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I would think that if the router is mounted such that the height adjustment is at about the 4:30'ish position, it would be out the way of the fence...?

This would put the gross adjustment at about 3:30'ish (right hand) with the switch at 9:00'ish (left hand).

If it's already mounted this way, then the other offered options might be needed. If it isn't, you could try it and see if you like it...

I don't use the above table adjust so my Triton is mounted diagonal (SW/NE) with gross height operated with my left hand.

I have built a router table around my Triton MFO01 router, and have started to use it.

I discovered that the crank handle for the built-in lift mechanism isn't long enough to clear the fence when using a tall (long) bit. I discovered the problem when I was routing a T-slot. I used a 1/4" bit to cut the slot, and came back with the T cutter. I did not want to move the fence for obvious reasons.

When the bit requires that the router be lowered very much, the fence interferes with the crank handle rotation.

I tried making a new one from wood, but by the time I drilled out the 7/16" dowel to accept the centering pin on the router body, the wood was so thin that it broke on first use.

Suggestions? Triton does not offer a longer crank that I can fine.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would think that if the router is mounted such that the height adjustment is at about the 4:30'ish position, it would be out the way of the fence...?

This would put the gross adjustment at about 3:30'ish (right hand) with the switch at 9:00'ish (left hand).

If it's already mounted this way, then the other offered options might be needed. If it isn't, you could try it and see if you like it...

I don't use the above table adjust so my Triton is mounted diagonal (SW/NE) with gross height operated with my left hand.
I wanted the spindle lock and power switch in front, so I mounted the router so the crank ended up on the left side of the spindle, and too close to the fence.

Because I didn't want to disassemble the router to disable the power switch-spindle lock interlock, I wanted easy access to the power switch, so I can turn it off when changing bits.

But, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Official Greeter
18,736 Posts
You may find that you can still reach under the table, as I do, and adjust with the handles....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts