Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, it's been a long time since I posted in these forums, thanks you all for all of the wise advice, allowed me to almost finish my project.

(Which I will post pictures soon)

Now, I'm looking to buy a power sander, and what I need to sand is a piece of MDF, dimensions are 2"x40" approximately, I want to achieve a fine matte finish, so after sanding the MDF I will apply primer, and then oil based paint.

I think the current sand I'm using, an old sheet sander, is creating scratches in the primer, that then the paint can't obviously cover, so the end result is mediocre.

So I'm considering buying a new power sander, I was thinking about one of those Bosch orbital sander that people seem to have a very good opinion of them.

What do you think?.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I personally prefer random orbit sanders Pablo but some disagree and say that in line sanders do a better job since they work with the grain. MDF doesn't have grain so that argument doesn't matter here but I hope you would eventually use it on wood and not just wood byproducts. As far as a brand goes, it would be hard to buy better than Bosch without spending a lot more money.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'm w/ Charles even though he won't fess to it...

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Pablo, I am very happy with my Bosch ROS65VCL. This has both 5" and 6" backing pads and everything packs up nicely in the L-Boxx 3 which is included with that part number. I use the hose/vacuum with this sander and it does a great job of capturing the dust. There is also room for a box of 25 sanding disks in the case.

In the past I always used a D/A air sander but I get better results with the Bosch.

ROS65VCL.jpg Bosch random orbit.jpg

·
Registered
278 Posts
Couldn't justify 'Bosch' prices, so I picked up a Makita BO5041 from HD. It's got variable speed, and the adjustable/removable handle is a nice touch. I don't have more than an hour or two on it, but it seems comfortable to use. It's the only sander in that price range that boasts 'over-sized sealed bearings'.

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Pablo, at 2 inches wide, are you worried about rounding the edges of your workpiece?

I have a DeWalt ROS that is still going four years and counting.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Pablo; my sheet sander is a pneumatic 'jitterbug'. Incredibly fast action. i think it's about 4"x 6+" on the base. Fairly dense rubber base plate...no edges being rounded unintentionally.
Jitterbug Air Sander | Princess Auto
Mine's a Clarke but similar to the one in the link. You do need a compressor.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
MDF isn't sanded it can't be made any smoother than the factory makes it. If you are trying to get cut edges sanded then that is another story. For those a lot of people first cover them with dry wall compound before sanding. As far as the scratches go use a finer grit paper possible even wet/dry paper and do it by hand with a sanding block. you probably need more coats of primer to build up the surface. To get a nice final finish use acrylic enamel and not latex.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello Pablo, from Canada. I have two festool sanders- RO 150 Dual mode sander and the DS 90 dual mode 3" sander. I like both of them. I think festool products are th e best, but they are expensive. I would encourage you to go to the festool website and see what they have to offer. All the best, billy boy Bill Major

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pablo

I think you need to seal the MDF first and the recommended procedure is to mix 50/50 white glue and water. I did a google search some time ago and this is what was recommended. I would put two coats on sanding after each coat use maybe 180 grit to start than 220 after the second coat and make sure each coat is dry. I used this method and applied a colored polystain combo. Just my .02!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Orbital Sander... Porter cable works great and is dependable.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Pablo; my sheet sander is a pneumatic 'jitterbug'. Incredibly fast action. i think it's about 4"x 6+" on the base. Fairly dense rubber base plate...no edges being rounded unintentionally.
so get an electrically driven one...
Milwaukee..
Makita...
Bosch..

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: woodknots

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Why? I like my jitterbug sander. I really like it...
that comment was aimed at Pablo..
he's in Argentina where some of the simplest things, tools, hardware and accessories are very very had to come by...

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I have a 6" random orbital pneumatic sander. I love it. The one thing I have to make sure about it is to keep it lightly oiled and use an air filter with a good air drier. Otherwise any moisture in the lines makes a mess of my work.

For most, I would say a good electric random orbital sander... With hook/loop sanding pads. Watch how you store the sander, as some pad shoes have foam in them and will deform if not stored flat.

I have to admit that I used to buy bargain-brand disks, thinking that it would save me money. I was wrong. I learned that buying better quality pads in contractor volume packs lasted longer and saved work hours and money, all the way around.

Remember, I hate sanding. So I find things that make my sanding phase go quicker and be more effective (better quality). Then I have more time to do other things that I do enjoy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
An orbital sander is a terrific tool to have (Festool, who invented the thing, make the best). But I am surprised you want to sand the face of mdf (I assume it is the face). You cannot improve on the standard surface of mdf. And if you do sand the surface away, you just get what looks like compressed paper - which is what mdf is, basically. You might prime the surface with a sanding sealer, and rub that down very lightly by hand. Then put on the finish with a little roller. It will be slightly textured, but I like that. Looks factory-finished.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Edge sanding Mark.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts