Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I'm a newbie to your forum, looking for a shaper I owned in the 1970's that was damaged during a flood and mistakenly pitched into a dumpster :(. I owned a small commercial / hobby shop when I was in my 20's (I'm now in my late 70's) when I purchased an overarm router made by a company no longer in business called Westflex. They made a large industrial version of this router and a smaller home hobby version ... I owned the smaller version. I've attached an old photo of the larger machine. The router in question had a stationery router mounted in the upper arm. There was NO pin beneath the bit ... rather there was a turntable connected to a vacuum. A rubber gasket was attached to a pattern that was screwed down to the turntable ... this acted as a hold down clamp. In operation a wooden blank was held onto the pattern by the vacuum ... the router bit had a follower bearing that traced around the pattern

I used this usually to make wooden shields for the trophy industry ... today of course you'd do this with a CNC router. For fun and economic reas
ons I want to use the old Westflex machine to make bodies for wooden toys for my grandchildren ... I realize a band saw would work just fine but the router is cleaner. ... I cannot afford a decent CNC machine and hope someone knows where the smaller version might be gathering dust in somebody's garage or shop who would like to part with it for cheap. I bought the original for less than $350 from a distributor in Baltimore called Skarie Machine, Inc.
Hope someone can help out this old timer.
Bob C in Maryland.

· Registered
47 Posts
Shopsmith made an overarm pin router at one time, it has a bit of a cult following. Unfortunately, I have heard that they are difficult to find these days. Maybe this information gives you another rabbit hole you can go down in your search.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello: I'm a newbie to your forum, looking for a shaper I owned in the 1970's that was damaged during a flood and mistakenly pitched into a dumpster :(. I owned a small commercial / hobby shop when I was in my 20's (I'm now in my late 70's) when I purchased an overarm router made by a company no longer in business called Westflex. They made a large industrial version of this router and a smaller home hobby version ... I owned the smaller version. I've attached an old photo of the larger machine. The router in question had a stationery router mounted in the upper arm. There was NO pin beneath the bit ... rather there was a turntable connected to a vacuum. A rubber gasket was attached to a pattern that was screwed down to the turntable ... this acted as a hold down clamp. In operation a wooden blank was held onto the pattern by the vacuum ... the router bit had a follower bearing that traced around the pattern

I used this usually to make wooden shields for the trophy industry ... today of course you'd do this with a CNC router. For fun and economic reas View attachment 396263 ons I want to use the old Westflex machine to make bodies for wooden toys for my grandchildren ... I realize a band saw would work just fine but the router is cleaner. ... I cannot afford a decent CNC machine and hope someone knows where the smaller version might be gathering dust in somebody's garage or shop who would like to part with it for cheap. I bought the original for less than $350 from a distributor in Baltimore called Skarie Machine, Inc.
Hope someone can help out this old timer.
Bob C in Maryland.

I have one For Sale

I am know as Dviolinman at Yahoo. Com

Steve in Adams Ma 01220

· Registered
22,926 Posts
Welcome newcastleisaac. This is a very old post and your post is not likely to be seen. There is a special section just for listing tools for sale. Heavy tools are very expensive to ship and usually sell locally. I you look up in the right upper corner of this page you will see a "new" button and right next to it, a bulleted list symbol. Click that and repost on the for sale forum. Do take pictures and put up as much information as you have, plus an idea of where you live (Southern California in my case). People will respond or not. Selling tools can be difficult and take some time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts