Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I'm a newbie to your forum, looking for a shaper I owned in the 1970's that was damaged during a flood and mistakenly pitched into a dumpster :(. I owned a small commercial / hobby shop when I was in my 20's (I'm now in my late 70's) when I purchased an overarm router made by a company no longer in business called Westflex. They made a large industrial version of this router and a smaller home hobby version ... I owned the smaller version. I've attached an old photo of the larger machine. The router in question had a stationery router mounted in the upper arm. There was NO pin beneath the bit ... rather there was a turntable connected to a vacuum. A rubber gasket was attached to a pattern that was screwed down to the turntable ... this acted as a hold down clamp. In operation a wooden blank was held onto the pattern by the vacuum ... the router bit had a follower bearing that traced around the pattern

I used this usually to make wooden shields for the trophy industry ... today of course you'd do this with a CNC router. For fun and economic reas
ons I want to use the old Westflex machine to make bodies for wooden toys for my grandchildren ... I realize a band saw would work just fine but the router is cleaner. ... I cannot afford a decent CNC machine and hope someone knows where the smaller version might be gathering dust in somebody's garage or shop who would like to part with it for cheap. I bought the original for less than $350 from a distributor in Baltimore called Skarie Machine, Inc.
Hope someone can help out this old timer.
Bob C in Maryland.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Shopsmith made an overarm pin router at one time, it has a bit of a cult following. Unfortunately, I have heard that they are difficult to find these days. Maybe this information gives you another rabbit hole you can go down in your search.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.