Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get a 12" disc sander, since I'm finding my 6" one is often too small. Saw one near me for $600! It's 3/4 HP, 110V on a stand. I've included a picture.
New ones at Grizzly are $270, 1 HP bench-top mounted, which is fine. Is this the going price for a used one? Seems way too high, but I thought I'd ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Definitely not a complex machine. The platten the paper's mounted on must be flat, the table must adjust to an accurate 90 to the disk. I'd also want a table large enough to clamp on a guide set at an exact 45 degrees to the disk. Price seems very high for the used one. The rolling stand is probably $40 or so. I'm not much for buying used stuff anymore.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
over the top too much IMO...

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Like any tool a lot depends on the machine itself. The quality of the motor and the accuracy of the build. From the looks of it I'd wager the base is a bit uncomfortable to just carry around and could easily be an industrial made tool which, yes, is more expensive. It would help to know what brand and model this sander is. But I agree that $600 for a used sander seems high but not knowing any better I could be very wrong. Like anything else, do the less expensive models fit the bill for what you need? If the HF unit craps out in a year or two is that a problem?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
That one looks like someone home built it. The table is made out of 2 pieces of channel Iron with a plate welded to the top and the base looks home made as well. Way to much money for what you are getting. Imo.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I picked up a 12" Shop Fox bench top disc sander back in 2010. Price I believe was something like 225 at the time on clearance. Its been a great little sander all this time. Motor and disc wise, no issues at all, and I use the thing quite often. Dust collection is very good, and boy, you gotta use a collector. Cheap sandpaper performs like crap!!! If you do get one, spend a little on better paper. Youll be glad you did. Runs nice and quiet as well. The thing is a little tank. Nice and heavy, no vibration, no dancing around the bench top when its running. This particular design is pretty much a knock off of many of the others out there. Pretty much the same thing, just varying paint jobs. Table came with a miter guage and adjusts from around 40 degree's to 90.
The only complaint I've had is that the table can be a bit fussy as far as holding its settings. If you just let the weight of the wood rest on the table, she holds pretty well, but if you tend to press down while sanding, eventually the table slips out of adjustment. Clamping jigs to the table can be a bit tricky at times. More often than not, I take and use a piece of 1/2" ply and just screw the jig onto the plywood, then use the miter slot to hold the plywood in place.
There are no doubt, much better units available, however for the last 9 years the ShopFox has severed me well and for the money, I don't think you can beat it.

https://www.woodshoptools.com/12in-Disc-Sander-p/w1828.htm

doesn't look like much of anything has changed with the unit over the last 9 years............

Great machine for smaller to small/medium sized pieces. You really kind of limited by the size of the table more than anything else. I've thrown together a larger platform to work off of from time to time and that does the trick.

Reactions: Stick486

·
Registered
Paul
2,100 Posts
I would look for a dust collection port. I had to add stuff to mine because it won the "dustiest tool award". On sale a 1/2 horse benchtop is $235 Canadian up here (~$175 US), so that Grizzly doesn't sound too out of line with a one horse. One's designed for metal work often don't have a dust collection port.

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
You could probably make your own dust collection device by making a small "trough to suspend under the table. I'd look at where the dust flies and get the collection ports in line with those spots.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
For $600, one could buy a used Shopsmith wth a 12" disc sander. I bought my last one for $450 and it came with the 6X48" belt sander. I already had 3 disc sander plates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.