Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m totally new at all this so take it easy on me. I’m looking at starting a small hobby Business. Making crafts and signs mostly. I was originally looking at the Carvewright CNC mostly for its ease of use. You just design what u want transfer to memory card and its does the rest like telling you when to change bits and such. Well I’m from Canada and found out they dont ship or warranty here. So that’s a no go. Next on my list was the MillRight Mega V XL. Now That doesn’t come with it own software like the carveright unit does so was looking at the Vcarve Desktop or Pro. Think i would need the pro to use the full area of the XL. SO my question is. Whats A good entry level machine maybe with its own software and thats easy to use. My budget is around 3k USD.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum. Have a look at the LongMill by Scieni Lab and the OneFinity, both made in Canada so no issues with shipping. Long Mill comes with basic software and will handle a laser as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum. Have a look at the LongMill by Scieni Lab and the OneFinity, both made in Canada so no issues with shipping. Long Mill comes with basic software and will handle a laser as well.
Thanks for the info. I looked into the OneFinity ones and I’m thinking that unit is not on the top of my list now. I like that the control computer is built in. And remote webcam functions. And its looks very strong

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum Andrew.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome Andrew,
I have the mega v 19" x 19" bed around 1,800 bucks to start off with,,, The bench, enclosure etc. around $ 275 and counting,,, a decent laptop $400,,, Vectric V carve pro ,, $ 816,, love it,, easy to use too. about $150 in basic bits off Amazon,,,,,The support from millwright has been great,,,,Vectric is worth $ ,, I wasted a lot of time being cheap,,, wish I had bought it from the get go...I think the AXIUM comes with v carve pro would have been my next choice,,,

anyway , welcome from the old guy,,
Have a very blessed day ,
Ray

I love the sweepy from carbide 3 on the makita router too $65 tax and all!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Andrew. Just curious as to how serious you are starting up. Like the previous posts before mine they gave you a few suggestions. I built my first machine. It was a Routakit. What a complete piece of junk. The only thing good was the spindle. Everything else was crap. It would carve but man a tortoise could out run it. The examples you have been given remind me so much of that machine. I really wish I would have done my homework and spent a bit more from the get go. When I sold that machine I felt guilty to the new owner buying it. They to didn't do their homework either. They wanted a cheap machine and that's exactly what they got from me. I ended up buying a CWI Professor HDX as my first half decent machine and an AR6 Basic Axiom Precision as my back up. Very few cheap machines come with good software such as Vectric Vcarve Pro or Desktop. If I were you I would look at Avid CNC. They are a build it machine and come with Mach 4 I believe to run it. You still have to have a program to create stuff though. And if my Axiom craps out I'm replacing all the electronics with theirs. I'm always going to have 2 machines, I run a small business since I'm retired and that is why. I can't afford to not have a running machine. Whatever you end up doing make sure you have quick access to parts. I have 2 back up stepper drivers that I have never used but they are there just in case. But in the long run it all depends on what you are going to be making for your craft business. A build may be the way to go for your budget. This way you have control over the end product. And whatever you end up with make sure there is no flex in it. You'll be surprised at how it shows up in your finished product. Also unfortunately we are in Canada. The choices are very slim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts