Router Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Andrew. Just curious as to how serious you are starting up. Like the previous posts before mine they gave you a few suggestions. I built my first machine. It was a Routakit. What a complete piece of junk. The only thing good was the spindle. Everything else was crap. It would carve but man a tortoise could out run it. The examples you have been given remind me so much of that machine. I really wish I would have done my homework and spent a bit more from the get go. When I sold that machine I felt guilty to the new owner buying it. They to didn't do their homework either. They wanted a cheap machine and that's exactly what they got from me. I ended up buying a CWI Professor HDX as my first half decent machine and an AR6 Basic Axiom Precision as my back up. Very few cheap machines come with good software such as Vectric Vcarve Pro or Desktop. If I were you I would look at Avid CNC. They are a build it machine and come with Mach 4 I believe to run it. You still have to have a program to create stuff though. And if my Axiom craps out I'm replacing all the electronics with theirs. I'm always going to have 2 machines, I run a small business since I'm retired and that is why. I can't afford to not have a running machine. Whatever you end up doing make sure you have quick access to parts. I have 2 back up stepper drivers that I have never used but they are there just in case. But in the long run it all depends on what you are going to be making for your craft business. A build may be the way to go for your budget. This way you have control over the end product. And whatever you end up with make sure there is no flex in it. You'll be surprised at how it shows up in your finished product. Also unfortunately we are in Canada. The choices are very slim.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.